Chapter 5

At first it was dark. The way through the door was pitch black, Amai couldn't see a single thing. She knew Kisshu was still next to her because of their adjoined hands, but she could hardly even make out his silhouette. Her footsteps echoed with every step she took, heart banging louder and harder.

Her curiosity grew the longer they went on. What wonders would await her when they arrived at Kisshu's kingdom? What did it look like? Would it be light or dark, given it was under a tyrant's rule?

"Look." Kisshu nudged her lightly, focusing her attention on a small light ahead of them. The exit of this dark tunnel, and the entrance to the Mew Aqua Kingdom.

The light got brighter and wider, brighter and wider, then...

Amai's eyes beheld the most beautiful sight she'd ever seen.

"Welcome to the Mew Aqua Kingdom, White Rose."

It was beautiful. The perfect vision of a storybook illustration. Trees tall and lush, covered with speckles of snow and tiny crystals. Sparkles coated the dirt on the paths, stretching up the bark of the trees. Skies of baby blue and the sun beaming down. The smell of powdered sugar filled the air.

Amai took a few steps forward, hypnotized by her surroundings. "It's incredible." Kisshu watched her, smiling at her awestruck wonder of his home. Then, his face fell.

"It was more beautiful when it was lively. But now, everyone lives in fear due to Deep Blue's cruel way of ruling."

Amai turned back to him, seeing his eyes filled with sadness and anger. She felt so sorry for him. After all, she knew what it was like to lose something precious.

"We'll save everyone, Kisshu. Don't worry." Kisshu brightened up at her positive comment.

Taking her shoulder, he guided her down the pathway into the forest before them. "Come on. We got a long way to go."

The two began their walk through the magical woods, unaware of what was or could come.

.......................................................................................................................................................... The soldiers that had escaped the battle before were rushing into the palace, down the halls, and towards the throne room, anxious of the news they had for their king. Approaching the vast doors, they slowed themselves down before entering.

Black drapes covered the stain glass windows, keeping the room incredibly dim. Candles gave little light, spread all around. The royal blue throne sat at the end of the long crimson carpet, where a wickedly handsome figure sat, toying with a sharp dagger. A sapphire eye cracked open at the oncoming footsteps, peering through black bangs.

"What is it?" The figure's voice, calm yet strong, said. The soldiers bowed before replying. "Your Majesty, we have distressing news. The prince... he's alive."

They waited for a chilling reaction.

And they got one.

"What... did... you... just... say?!"

Pale hands gripped the armrests of the throne in a crushing grip, a curtain of long black locks falling to the sides as the figure stood, slowly and intimidatingly. The men quivered, trying to be careful with their words.

"When we went into the human world, he was there, my lord. He was still a doll, but he's alive, and he destroyed most of the men we brought."

The wicked figure breathed in a heavy breath, eyes dangerously dark. Magic crackled around him, reacting to his growing anger. Very, very softly did the head soldier make his next statement.