Chapter 10

"Kisshu..." Amai's voice called to him, pleading for him. He tried to reach her but couldn't. "Kisshu..."

"Kisshu!"

With a startled yelp, the prince bolted up from the ground. His head whipped to the side where Ryou knelt, a worried look on his face. A roll of bandages was in his hands from wrapping the prince's cut. Kisshu sighed deeply. "What happened?"

"You got hurt, though it's a mystery how, considering you're not human yet." Ryou replied. "We found you unconscious down the path."

Kisshu looked around, relieved to see everyone alright with no major casualties. A few scratches on Taruto, a bruise on Ichigo's knuckles, a rip in Zakuro and Pudding's clothes. But nothing serious.

But he was still upset, knowing the person he wanted to see most wasn't there.

"They got away with her. Amai's been captured."

Everyone's faces were filled with worry. Amai was the sweetest, most selfless girl alive; they all knew that. She had spoken words of encouragement to them, helped their prince and best friend come back home. Who knows what plans Deep Blue had for her? They just hoped it wasn't death.

"We have to help her. We can't let Deep Blue do whatever it is he's going to do to her!" Ichigo said.

"I know, but with Amai in the castle, the guards will surely be doubled, or tripled. It'll be more difficult to get in without being caught than before." Mint replied, using a damp cloth to clean Taruto's scratches.

The boy flinched as the cloth gently moved over his skin. Mint apologized to keep him calm. Pai and Retasu, who had been cleaning up the wrecked camp supplies, walked over.

"What's our next move, Kisshu? We're all listening." Everyone's attention turned to the prince. Kisshu was distressed. He didn't want to just rush into the castle and cause chaos, putting his best friends in danger. But he would not lose his princess to the monster that already robbed him of so much.

"Nightfall, we find Amai and end this. Once and for all." He looked around at all the people surrounding him. "You've all resisted, shown bravery and strength against this darkness, and I can't thank you enough for that. You're my best friends, and if you're willing, will you take this stand with me?"

He stuck out his hand, watching for their responses. One by one, they joined hands with his, declaring their loyalty and faith.

"We're always with you, Kisshu.

"If you're going to storm the castle, then so am I."

"I'm ready!"

Kisshu could've cried at that moment. He thought about his parents and what they'd say if they could see this. His mother would've hugged him with a smile. His father would've said he was ready.

Ready to be a leader. Ready to be a king.

"Amai, hold on. I'm coming for you."

.........................................................................................................................................................................

The night was cloudy. The stars barely visible through the clouds that covered them. It was the perfect protection for Kisshu and the group as they hid behind the trees and bushes at the edge of the woods, right before the castle.

As they expected, there were more guards posted at every available entrance and in between. All on alert and armed with sharpened swords and bows.

"What do we do?" Mint whispered, crouching by the trunk of a tree. Kisshu pointed to the right. "If we stay out of sight, we can make it to the old water well in the outer courtyard. You all remember the secret tunnel that runs under it, right?" Nodding heads answered his question. "We take that tunnel into the cellars, then make our way to the halls. Go, go!"