Chapter 23 - Promotion

◈ Zariya ◈

It's been a week since we returned to Trost, a week since Erwin lost his arm, a week since Eren discovered his somewhat ability to control titans, a week since Hannes died, a week since I discovered that Hannes was the man who saved me from being trampled in that crowed in 850 and a week since I was told that I might have a 'photographic memory'. What does that mean? Well I'm not entirely sure, however when Hange told me about it when we got back from the mission she seemed very excited.

I spent 3 days in the medical wing after the mission, mainly because of my concussion but also because my arm hadn't fully healed, fortunately it has now. Armin had brought me there once we returned, the nurse said he hadn't left my side for a whole day. I was in and out of consciousness so of course I do not remember any of it and haven't seen him since. Part of me doesn't believe her, I don't know why he would have, considering he had Eren and Mikasa to visit as well, but the other part of me smiles every time I think of him sitting at my side while I was recovering.

"Zariya!" Gen calls making my head jolt up from the book in my lap. She sits herself on the edge of the bed smirking ear to ear.

"Oh no, what did you do?" I sigh, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing!" She laughs, lifting her hands showing her innocence. I smile with her now before glancing down at my book to check the page number before closing it. "It's just that~" She continues looking away from me.

"So you did do something!" I exclaim putting the book on bed before swinging my legs onto the floor.

"No, I didn't honest! But~" She begins as I grab my boots from under the bed, slipping them on. "Can you just listen for a minute!" She exclaims grabbing my arm pulling me back up.

"What has gotten into you today Gen!" I laugh pulling my arm from her grip.

"Nothing! I just have to talk to you and you're not paying attention..." She trails off. I look at her tilting my head, "Well, okay you have my attention now." I say adjusting my body to face her.

"I do?" She mutters looking all over the room, I nod in response amused by her squirmy behaviour. "Okay, well it's just that-" She begins before being interrupted.

"Have you told her yet! I'm dying out here!" Jacob blurts, bursting into the room.

"Jacob! Get out!" Gen exclaims standing up, "We agreed I was going to tell her alone, so get!" She demands.

"Tell me what?" I ask now standing up, confused but also a bit worried. "Is everything okay?" I question again.

"Well... defined okay?" Jacob states, bringing his hand to his chin.

"Go!" Gen exclaims again, pushing him out of the room.

"Fine, fine. I like it when you're bossy." He smirks as Gen closes the door. My back straightens at his last comment, that's the sort of thing Jacob thinks but never says, wait a minute. My eyes go wide when I realise.

"YOU AND JACOB?" I shout in shock.

Gen quickly turns around lifting her hand to her mouth, "SHH!" She scolds me.

"WHEN?" I yell again still in disbelief.

"How did you know! I spent ages trying to work out how to tell you!" She whines, waving her hands in the air. I can't help my laugh, Gen is one of the most blind people I know, so her finally seeing that Jacob has feelings for her too is as likely as seeing snow in summer.

"It doesn't matter how I know! Why didn't you tell me when this happened!" I laugh smacking her playfully on the shoulder.

"Well, we did know how..." She trails off.