XXXIX. lovestruck idiots

vanraj :

A few days passed. And the unsaid words seemed to have been said by the eyes.
I had dumped my trash idea of being selfless-raj and handing her over to Deepu. Anupamaa seemed like a completely different person from who I had met post the five years of loneliness.
Now, she smiled. She jumped around the way she used to, celebrated her achievements, even if it's a "thank you ma'am. no one can teach dance like you.", from a novice student.

But most importantly, she was guilt free.
As if there was nothing to pull her down anymore. When we spoke, it was mostly her playfully joking or teasing me. Sometimes a sudden kiss on the cheeks, or a tight hug of comfort after a long day of work.

Although I was not her husband, I definitely felt like one.
And she made me feel it.

Now, we sat at the dining table. Since it was Sumedh's mansion, I had decided to leave my head of the table seat for him - like Bapuji had once done for me. Sometimes, you should just let the duties pass on.
I sat on the seat perpendicularly beside his.
"The breakfast is ready!", Anupamaa called out from the kitchen bringing everything to the table. Dimpy, Kinjal and Baa helping her.
After putting everything on the table, they sat down at their respective seats at the dining table.

Anupamaa had made it a point to sit beside me.
"Today is thepla day.", She whispered as she pulled her chair.
I looked at her amused.
"Thank you, Anupamaa Devi ji.", I said smiling at her, like a lovestruck idiot. She narrowed her eyes.
"Only you can make the most respectable term sound like a taunt.", She mumbled in mock annoyance.
"You still love me, don't you?", I noticed her look down, pursing her lips, trying to hide her smile and blush.

Guess who's the other lovestruck idiot.

The servants started serving the food.
Pakhi looked agitated, almost as if she wanted to say something.
I had noticed it, but refrained from commenting over it. I had heard she wanted help from Anupamaa regarding the dance trainer audition but could not voice it.

"Mummy.", She said abruptly as everyone started to eat.
Anupamaa immediately looked up, giving her full attention.
"Yes, Pakhi.", She said.
"That.. I.. I needed help-"

"Anu!"

I froze.
I had felt fear before as well, but none so soul numbing, cold, death like.
Sumedh turned immediately towards the door as well.
"Anu!", The man called out again.
Anupamaa stood up, recognising the voice.

Anuj Kapadia rushed into the mansion.
I looked at him. He looked panicked. He looked at Anu with a strange desperation.

No. This was terrible news. Not now, not again. Not when things were still getting fixed.

"Kapadia Sir..", I heard Anu whisper.
I gulped nervously. The fear was paralysing. It almost made me numb, I felt like I would collapse.
"Anu..", He whispered as he rushed down to the table. Virtually ignoring everyone else.
"I.. I need your help.", He said.
"Is Choti fine?", Anupamaa asked immediately getting out from her seat and rushing down to him.

I forced myself to look up, and my gaze fell on Pakhi.
She looked strictly down. I noticed a tear slip down her eye as she gulped, holding back a sob.

Oh, I saw it.
Between Choti and her, this time, again - like the time when she had gotten the news of not being able to conceive - Choti would be chosen.
How had I not noticed the ache behind all the misbehaviour in all these years?

"Actually.. Shruti.. she got shot.", Anuj mumbled, "Aadhya is having panic attacks.. I-I don't know what to do. I need your help."
He joined his hands.
"Your daughter needs you Anupamaa.", He said.
I drew in a sharp breath.
"She was your daughter, wasn't she Kapadia?", I said sharply as I stood up.

No, I wasn't losing this battle. I wasn't going to lose her to this man again.
He looked at me, he had not expected the intervention.
"She is our daughter.", He said immediately, sharply.
I drew in a cold breath as he turned towards Anupamaa.
"She needs you.. You-you need to come with me. Only for a few days.", He said.
Anupamaa paused, reconsidering.