The backup Singer

Standing in the long line of potentials, Kongpob Suthiluck wasn't as nervous as the others but he was definitely second guessing being in this damn line. This wasn't in his style to do such a thing, and if it wasn't for his best friend, Kongpob wouldn't be there.

"I think we should go," Kongpob sighed.

"No! Haven't you always wanted to do something like this? I mean, when are you ever going to get a chance like this?" Aim asked.

"But look at all these people running out of the building! I just don't feel like being judged by people who think they're better than everyone else," Kong huffed.

"Then just show them that you're at their level. Simple. You've wanted an opportunity for months and now here it is. Come on."

Aim dragged him along the line as it moved and when it was finally his turn to step inside the room, Kongpob resigned to the fact that he wasn't going to escape without at least trying first. He sighed and went inside the room. He was greeted with a panel of men sitting at a long white table in the back of the room. There were mirrors along all side of the walls and the room was loud and echoey.

"Name please," the man sitting at the middle of the table said.

"Kongpob Suthiluck. Twenty-Four years ago. I have an undergraduate in communication arts, music history and art."

"Do you play any instruments?" he asked.

"I do not," Kongpob replied.

"Yet you turned up for an audition with a music band and can't play any instruments?" he asked.

"The posting was for a back up singer. Not a musician. There were also no requirements listed. If you expect certain things out of someone then you should have made expectations clear," Kong replied. He thought his audition was just about ruined but the guy actually smiled at him.

"Can you sing in English?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Sing a verse of your favorite English song," he ordered.

"I should have bought you flowers, and held your hand, should have given all my hours when I had the chance. Take you to ever party, cause all you wanted to do was dance. Now my baby's dancing, but she's dancing with another man."

When Kongpob finished singing, the entire panel was gawking at him. Finally the man in the middle stood.

"You've passed the first stage. Now it's time to meet the band. They make the final decision. Follow me through here." He pointed to a door in the corner of the room and Kongpob followed. The next room was similar to the other one but there were instruments set up so it looked like plenty of band practice happened here. So far, he was the only one in the room.

"Wait here. Once we go through all the candidates the band will come and meet you all. That's if anyone else passes the first audition. There's water over there in that box. Keep your voice warm and hydrated," he ordered.

He left the room then and Kongpob just idled around. He spent two hours in the room before two other guys came in and that was it.

"Alright, the band is here. This audition will be quick. Be prepared to sing twice."

When the band entered, Kongpob stayed towards the back of the room, wanting to check them out first before he got in the middle of anything. The two other guys seemed excited while he was just trying to see what the hell he was getting into. This band was local but they were getting very popular. Kong heard their music before but he actually never saw them in person. Once he listened to their songs through, he somehow felt a connection to the lead vocals and that's how Aim even talked him into this audition. But as he was looking at the members, he didn't think the vocals he heard matched up to the guys that were in the room.