Part 10: A nightmare

At the entrance of the kitchen, I see my mom. Sitting next to a well-prepared meal. She looks stern. "My wonderful, only daughter, has it occurred to you that you should let me know where you are at such a tardive hour?" I stand still looking at her. "I have been worried sick, waiting for you in this big house. Do you know how hard it has been?" I shake my head. "I'm sorry, mom, I didn't mean to worry you."

She looks at me, her eyebrows raising. "I appreciate your apology. Please, have some food I've prepared for you. I'm sure you're starving." I look at the food on the table, it all looks so good. I sit down and cut into the turkey, placing some on my plate. "Where have you been?" She asks as she looks over at me. "Eric took me on a date." I say with a smile on my face. "Oh, I see." She smiles back.

I look back at my plate smiling, but as I cut into the turkey that's now on my plate, I notice that it turns into ashes. I'm confused and look at her as she stands there, her arms crossed. "Go ahead, dig in." There's a box of chocolate on the side, so I take a piece, but as I pick it up it turns into a cockroach. "Eww!" I drop it on the table, a look of disgust on my face. "What's wrong, don't you like my food?"

I look at the food again, everything turns to ashes. I tilt my head towards her, and she's gone. What's going on? Where is she? " Mom?!" I get up from the chair and look around. No one in sight. I look in the kitchen, then turn back to look at the dining room, but there's no one there. No chairs, no table, no chandelier, it's all gone. I close my eyes.

No, this can't be happening, I must be imagining it. I must calm down. I take deep breaths and open my eyes. The walls are disappearing. It's as if the house was now in the middle of space. The floor is becoming transparent and slowly everything is fading. My arms, my hands and everything else.

I wake up suddenly, I look at my surroundings, my breath trembling. I'm in my bedroom. I forgot that I had gone to bed right after my date with Eric. "What a nightmare!" I mumbled under my breath. The light of the moon is shining from my bedroom window. I lay on my stomach and looked out the window. "When will I stop having these weird dreams?"

I remember that Eric had told me a while ago at the pond that if I ever couldn't sleep, I could reach out to him, no matter what time it was. I look at my alarm clock on my side table by the left of my bed. On my digital clock, it shows the time -2:30 AM. I pick up my phone that's on the edge of my side table and open up the chat.

Me: Are you up?

I put my phone screen down on my bed and sigh. Just a few seconds later, I hear a notification on my phone. I turn my screen slowly to face me, hoping that it would be him. A small smile lights up my face when I see his text.

Eric: I am now <3

I'm not sure what to say. I look at the text for a while, twiddling my thumbs.

Eric: You can't sleep?

Me: Sorry for waking u up. I had a nightmare :(

Me: It's too hard to sleep now

I look at my phone screen in the dark as I wait for him to text back.

Eric: Dw, I'll stay up to keep u company <3

Me: tysm my sweet Bonzo ^^

Me: I'll repay you later for keeping you up

Eric: and waking me up, lol

Me: yeah that too hehe

Eric: it's all good, my sweet Morano

Me: lol, we're definitely cringe af

Eric: I don't mind ;)

Me: 😭😭😭😭

We talked for a while until I drifted back to sleep, but soon I woke back up. I'm thirsty, so I get up, take my phone and walk down the stairs to the kitchen. As I stand in the kitchen and fill up a cup of water, I think; -That nightmare was so vivid. It felt real. I take a sip of my water and walk over to the living room, sitting down on the white couch.