6.

!TW - Anxiety, Panic Attack, Blood, Violence!

Nick's pov-
I carefully open Charlie's bedroom door and I'm greeted by a sight that makes my heart stop. Charlie is sitting on the floor with his back against the bed, his face hidden in his hands and his legs pulled up to his chest, as if he's trying to curl up into a little ball and disappear from the world. I'm not sure if he's heard me, but even so I sneak over and crouch down next to him.
"Char..." I whisper and he jumps, looking at me in horror. His eyes, wide and frightened, meet mine, and his whole body begins to shake uncontrollably.
"No, no, no, no" he starts muttering to himself, his eyes darting around the room in panic. I notice a red mark on his cheek. It must be new, because it wasn't there earlier today.

Suddenly there is a sound as something falls to the floor, and I freeze when I see what it is. A pair of scissors with blood lies in front of me and I feel panic creeping up my spine.
"Charlie?" I say, voice trembling, revealing my own fear. Charlie doesn't say anything, his shaking only gets more violent and his breathing turns into short, struggling gasps. He seems barely aware of my presence. His muttering continues, getting louder and more desperate.
"No, no, no" he repeats and I can see tears starting to run down his cheeks.

I feel so helpless, I don't know what to say or do to make him relax. Without thinking, I reach out and try to touch his shoulder. But as soon as my fingers touch him, he flinches and pushes my hand away.
"Do not touch me!" He screams and his voice is about to crack.
"Sorry" I whisper but he still doesn't hear me, he's so up in his own world of fear and panic.

After a while, Charlie's shaking begins to ease a bit, but his breathing is still suffocating. Just when I think everything has started to calm down, I hear the sound of heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. I turn just as the door to Charlie's room opens. Charlie's mother is standing in the doorway. She is angry and her eyes are red. I immediately understand that she is drunk when the smell of alcohol spreads in the room.
"What the hell is going on here?" She says with an unsteady voice. Her gaze is on Charlie.
"Charlie!" she shouts, taking a wobbly step into the room.
"What are you doing? Are you going to sit there and cry like a little kid?"
But before Charlie can answer, I stand up and take a step closer to Jane.
"Please stop, you're just scaring him more" I say, trying to keep my voice steady even though I'm filled with fear myself. But I know it won't do any good if I yell back.
"Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?" she screams. She takes another step closer, and I'm forced to back up - but I maintain my position between her and Charlie. I'm not gonna let her touch him.

I am so speechless by her question that I just stand and look at her. Anger starts to well up inside me, but even so, I still try to stay calm.
"You're not helping him by being here, yelling at him" I say, eyes locked on Jane. She watches me silently for a few seconds, before taking another step closer to me. I'm stubborn, I'm not going to back more so I'm staying where I stand. She has her fist up and smacks me hard over the head before turning and angrily leaving the room.