lie

Mom, I'm sorry," I apologized.

"Sweetie, you don't have to apologize for anything," Mum said to me.

"But I should have been more careful and maybe I shouldn't have acted so naively. You're certainly disappointed," I apologized again.

"Hey sweetie," she lifted my lowered head upwards.

"You didn't do anything wrong. It's normal for you to try out new things over time, in other words to gain sexual experience. And you don't have to apologize for that. Of course, it was a bit of a shock when we heard that you were pregnant, but we are in no way disappointed in you. We just want you to be healthy," she explained her position.

"So you don't blame Carlos either?".

"No sweetie, it's not his fault either. So it's all good. Just take a bit more care. But tell me, when did it start?" Mom asked curiously.

Well, a little later. As you said, he took some time to get to know me better. I got to know his family and his secrets and then one thing led to another," I told her.

"And how was it? Did you like it?".

"Yes, very much mom. Carlos was also very careful and made me feel special," I replied honestly.

"That makes me very happy sweetie. Go on, eat something and then come down to your dad and me.

I will, Mom," I said and hugged her tightly.

Then my door closed. While I was spooning up my soup, I tried to reach Carlos, but he didn't answer. It was the same with Ella. I left a message for both of them. I finished my soup and got out of bed in pain.

There was a repeated knock.

"Mom?" I asked.

Mom came out with a not-so-happy expression.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

Her body sank onto my bed. I was worried.

"Mom? What's wrong?" I repeated to myself.

"Sweetie..." she began.

I was eager to hear her words.

"I don't know how to tell you".

Fear spread across my skin. What if someone had died. I became restless.

"Just tell me," I tried to appear calm.

"Haven't you read the media?" she asked me.

I shook my head.

"What does it say?" I asked.

I waited impatiently for her answer.

"It's all over the media that Carlos was paid to go out with you," she replied.

Speechless, I stared into space.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie," she added.

Tears streamed down my face.

"That can't be right," I said.

"The source is very trustworthy and Daddy got confirmation that it was true," she replied.

My heart sank and broke at that moment. I sat motionless on my bed.

"Darling?" Mom tried to talk to me.

Answering would only hurt me even more. Determined, I went downstairs to where my dad was standing.

"Sweetie," he said to me.

I went straight out and sat in my car.

"Where are you going?" they called after me.

I drove off. When I got to his place, Virginia opened the door for me.

"Sweetie," she said sadly.

"Is he here?" I asked, wiping away my tears.

She nodded demurely. Without looking at anyone, I went into his room. But there I met someone I wasn't expecting to see.

"Ella?" I asked in shock, who was arguing with Carlos.

What was Ella doing with Carlos? Realization gripped me.

'Malia...' he approached me gently.

I looked him in the eye.

"I understand... you paid him, Ella," I said, deeply hurt.

"Malia, please," Carlos came towards me.

I dodged him. My tears flowed again.

"Mali, I'm so sorry," said Ella.

I stood there speechless.

'You deserve each other,' I told them and left the room.

I stormed out of the house upset and drove away. I didn't want to see anyone at home, so I didn't speak to anyone and hid in my room. Curled up in my bed, I cried bitterly. It was difficult to breathe. I couldn't control my trembling hands. I felt someone touching my hands.

"Shh, it's me," Jack's voice rang out.

He gently pulled me into his arms. I cried bitterly. Jack put a blanket over me and stayed with me until I stopped crying, which took forever. Stroking me calmed me down.

Thank you," I said hurt.

"You don't have to talk," he said softly and gently.

I stared into space without energy.

There was a knock. Brightness entered the room. Mom and dad.

"Hey sweetie," they said sympathetically.

Jack made room for them both to hug me. Hugging them both helped a little. I still found it too difficult to talk.

"Do you want something to eat?" my mom asked us.

"I don't think so at first, Maria.  I'll stay with her for a while. I'll let you know if she needs anything," Jack replied, because I wasn't in a position to do so.

"Thanks Jack," said Dad and closed the door behind him.

I moved for the first time and sat up straight. I was freezing because I was shivering. Jack pulled his warm sweater over me. My cell phone kept ringing.

"Can you turn it off?" I asked Jack.

"Of course," he replied and reached for my cell phone.

Silence met me. I lay back down in Jack's arms, drained of energy. I tried to distract myself with Netflix. My eyes kept wandering into the distance, making my eyes feel numb again.

"Will you stay with me tonight? I can't be alone tonight. I'd hurt myself otherwise'.

"Of course, I'll stay here as long as you want," he replied and hugged me tighter.

Later that evening, I noticed that Jack had fallen asleep. I kindly tucked him in and went into the bathroom. There I let cold drops of water touch my body. Out of the shower, I freshened up a little. I let Jack sleep for a while and quietly slipped out of my room with my cell phone and then out of the house.