8

Emily

The school day flew by as I kept thinking about what Ryleigh had told me. Should I tell Jake? Was it important enough?

Maybe... but I was also stuck thinking about Dani. Still just silence from her. Ugh, I wish I had a car. I could drive to her house myself.

I walked home, thinking. I'm sure Jake already walked home. I'll tell him later.

I reached my house and a thought came to mind. My mom has a car. But she'd never let me use it to go to Dani's. I need to think of something to tell her.

I walked in and placed my bag down, walking over to her in the kitchen.

"Oh, Emily. You've decided to come back." Shit. I forgot I didn't tell her I stayed out last night. Okay. Time for the world's beat liar to come out.

"I'm sorry. I completely lost track of time, and by the time I noticed it was way too late. My friends parents didn't want me walking at night, so they let me sleep there for the night. I completely forgot to text you."

"Hmm. It's fine, but let me know next time you decide to stay out."

"I promise I will. But... I left my phone charger at their house. Could I take the car to get it? School has me too tired to walk." Moment of truth here...

"Fine. Please be careful, and don't be long. Dinner is almost ready."

"Thanks mom. I'll be quick, I promise. Uhh, have you seen Jake?"

"Hm? Yes, he's in his room. He got here maybe... ten minutes before you? He has a friend over, they're studying." A friend? No way...

"Oh, okay. Thanks. I'm gonna go change and I'll head out." I ran upstairs to Jake's room and opened the door. I knew it.

"Emily! You're home." I was quickly pushed out of the room and the door shut behind us. It was him.

"Is that Gabriel?" I couldn't help smiling. He was so red, oh my god.

"Yes. It is. Please don't be weird about it, don't embarrass me. He's here for school and that's it. Got it?"

"I promise, I won't embarrass you. Can I say hi?" I pushed past him and opened the door before he could answer.

"Gabriel, this is my sister Emily. I think you know her already. Uhh, she was just leaving. Right?"

"Yes, actually. I was. Nice to see you again Gabriel."

"You too." He waved as I closed the door behind me. Oh, I was so gonna use this against him later. But that's not important now.

I changed out of my school clothes and into something more comfortable. Good. All set.

Grabbing the keys and getting in the car, I started driving to Dani's house. I'm getting my answers.

Jake

"I'm sorry about her. She's embarrassing."

"Not at all. Trust me, I have two older brothers and they aren't nearly as calm as that. Count your blessings."

"Heh. Yeah, I guess so."

"So, while this homework is very fun in itself, I am quickly losing interest." He got up and started walking around my room, looking at everything. This is... surreal.

"Uhh, sorry about the mess, I wasn't expecting anyone to come over."

"You know, you apologize a lot."

"Sor- yeah. Yeah, I guess I do." I smiled as I brought my hands together. I'm making myself look like an idiot.

"You have a playstation?" He asked, holding the controller in his hand.