goodbyes arent forever

senior year ended.

i walked the stage.

summer started.

but here we are, 72 days later, the final day of summer.

im the first friend to leave.

and im going the farthest.

we went to baseball games, played a giant game of tag around town with a majority of the people i graduated with, we played in the rain, played on the play ground, had a lot of late nights & a few missed cerfews.

and today, for the finale, we ate lunch at the local diner that we ate at after games & sometime before school.

we jumped in the lake while watching the sunset on our last day in this small town together.

the music played on while we wanted time to slow.

maybe i shouldn't have taken in nhl job, maybe i should of stayed home this year because maybe i wouldn't be missing this town so much, even though im still here.

the street lights turned on but we all sat, wrapped in towels, talking about memories since elementary, in the lake parking lot.

non of us wanting to go to sleep because that means the night won and the sun will rise tomorrow on a new day.

because have a good summer became have a good life.

ill lose contact with a majority of everyone that i graduated with just nearly 3 months ago.

growing up is so cruel.

jessa left first after her mom called her home.

kenzi & kolt followed soon after.

henry, isaac, ivy, cooper, keagan, kyler, & hayley all had jobs in the morning so we said our goodbyes.

so i sat with max, gracie, julia, hanna, jacob, hayden, savanna, bekka, & foster.

it was silent.

so weirdly silent coming from the same class that wouldnt shut up during graduation practice.

we stood up and hugged each other one final time before thanksgiving break, christmas break or possibly next summer.

instead of chats at the lunch table and inbetween classes, we'll have to watch eachothers lifes through a phone screen.

max took me home.

in all honesty i haven't told him much about luke.

he walked me up to my front porch, my eyes watery.

i looked behind him at the 2 cars that all my things are packed in and ready to go at 5am tomorrow morning.

"goodbyes aren't forever, right?"

he quickly wrapped me in a hug.

"ill see you at thanksgiving?" he asked.

how do i wait that long?

how do i wait til were 30?

what if i went against wanting to wait for my first kiss until im at the alter & kiss max now?