3| Driving Kiera

Shane

Turned out English was the only class I had with Kiera, and that meant I could only see her twice a week in the same class as me. It was disappointing, but I had to make do.

The guys were worrying me about this new chick whose books I carried as I accompanied her to class, wanting to know her name, where she's from, is she hot? Am I after her? What was going on?

"Man, is she one of the girls you plan to lay?" Cameron asked seriously.

I ignored them.

I was especially afraid of Sylvester the most. That guy could woo with the expertise and flow of a master. He could play the guitar and sing. He was very romantic. He could get any girl.

Theo was already taken, so he was no threat. Cameron, on the other hand, was another threat with his killer good looks and ability to woo.

There was no lady-wooer as Sylvester though.

I knew Dave had the hots for this girl called Vanessa, but it didn't mean he didn't pose a threat. Chris, apart from his good looks, could be funny and extremely charming; something ladies adored. He played girls like a violin.

Forget the bro code. I just didn't want to risk any chance here. Anyone who laid eyes on Kiera would want her, and for the first time ever, I felt so damn insecure, afraid that she might slip away from me, even though she was not yet mine.

Yet.

Since there was no basketball practice today, I headed to my car in the parking lot right after school. I would've been considerate enough to give Veronica a ride home, but I knew she was just being manipulative.

She wanted me, I didn't. That was it. End of story.

I pulled out a bottled water from my backpack and gulped it down, staring out the window from where I sat in the driver's seat of my car.

It was funny how my eyes always seemed to spot her. Her brown sweater was back on, one strap of her backpack slung over her shoulder as she bit her bottom lip nervously. I wondered what was wrong. Why wasn't she driving away? Was she waiting for someone? Why did she look so troubled?

I rolled my window down and waved her over.

She hurried across, pushing away a curl of hair that fell into her eye. "What's wrong?" I asked as she bent over and folded her arms on my window. "You don't look so good."

"It's my dad." She said, blinking nervously behind those glasses. "He can't pick me up now. I sorta need a ride."

"Oh, get in." I said easily, and she protested.

"No, Shane, you don't have to. I was just about to order an uber_"

"Kiera." I laughed. "Come on."

"Shane _"

"Please?" Ironic. Someone wanted me to give her a ride home earlier. I refused. But here I was, pleading with Kiera to allow me drive her home. So ironic.

"Fine." She huffed and walked around to the other side and settled in the passenger's seat. "You know, this can be reported to the police as kidnapping." She said, buckling up, and I chuckled as I started the car.

"Last time I checked, there was no violence here. It was mutual." I replied, pulling out of the parking lot. A small chuckle escaped her lips at the comeback.

"Yeah, sure." She rolled her eyes.

"So, where do you live?" I said as I started driving out of the school.