Their Butler, On Ice

(Snow fell from the dark night sky in flowing chunks. The air was cold and crisp as the ice crunched loudly beneath the feet of the passers-by. The Thames was close to freezing over. A man ran along one side of the river, a gun clutched tightly in his hand. His panting breaths came out in white puffs from his mouth, and a trio of men were chasing after him.)

Leader: Run faster! We can't let him get away! Tim knows how hard we worked to steal that thing! Let's go get it back!

(The man reached the London Bridge and looked down at the object he had clenched so painfully in his hand. A silver ring with an emerald-cut blue jewel stared back at him, its depths flowing and twisting like rising smoke as he laughed manically.)

Man: No one will have it. This is my ring now.

(From behind him, someone spoke up.)

Mysterious Figure: No. I don't think so. You do not deserve that ring.

(They extended a hand and shot invisible strings from their fingers. Tangling around his wrists, ankles, and along his back, they tightened and began to shed blood.)

Mysterious Figure: The Hope Piece is in search of a worthy master, you see. You do not fit that description.

(The strings tightened even further, shredding through the man's body. His dying screams rang through the London night as his bleeding body staggered and stumbled over the balustrade of the bridge and into the Thames below. The trio of criminals watched what happened.)

Criminal 1: He jumped off the bridge.

Criminal 2: That fool.

[The following day, the Thames had completely frozen.]

Paula: My Lady, please! Slow down a bit!

(Elizabeth, garbed in a pretty pink dress, coat, and bonnet, walked briskly through the stalls.)

Elizabeth: Careful, Paula. You're going to crack the ice if you keep stomping about like that.

(Paula, a young woman with brown hair and eyes, wearing a burgundy dress, brown coat, and flat black hat, trembled as she tried to keep her steps light.)

Paula: Please understand, My Lady, if your parents knew we took a detour, they will be terribly angry. I will be in a lot of trouble.

(Elizabeth gave a huff and turned away with her nose in the air.)

Elizabeth: But Harrods and Liberty were utterly useless. They had nothing to offer.

(She jumped on the ice for a moment, causing Paula a scare.)

Elizabeth: I was just joking. It won't crack.

(Paula then asked a pertinent question.)

Paula: Excuse me, My Lady, but there seems to be something specific you've been searching for. Might I ask what?

(The girl blushed under her earnest brown gaze.)

Elizabeth: Something special. I need a present for Ciel. It's almost his birthday, and I need to find him the perfect present, so he will be happy. I mean very, very happy!

(Paula became very starry-eyed at her declaration.)

Paula: Oh My Lady Elizabeth! That is absolutely adorable!