Chapter 23

Luke

When I walked inside the bedroom, I found Livie lying on her side, fast asleep.

I walked closer towards her.

Her hand was tucked under her cheek.

I was struck by how beautiful, young, and innocent she looked. I realized that she never did look like the kind who would anyone in anyways. I guess that's why her betrayal came as a shocking and unexpected surprise.

I shook my thoughts out of my head. We both promised to work hard at getting beyond the past. It's just difficult sometimes. The dark thoughts always crept in.

I just really don't understand. What did I do that caused Livie to turn to my best friend?

Nick was not just my best friend, he was like a brother to me. Not just to me but to my brothers as well. We've known each other since we were kids. I never thought that anything could come between us. Especially not a woman. But one had... Livie.

It destroyed my relationship with Nick and Livie. And now here I am, trying to rebuild my relationship with Livie, but how can I, when I keep wondering about why she did it?

Maybe Livie was right, there's too much history between us, and to be able to move forward, we need to address the past. Even though we promised we'd forget about it and never speak of it again. We can't just keep on pretending it never happened.

But I also need to show and reassure Livie that the past won't get between us again. That I won't change my mind about us. That I still want to marry her.

A plan formed in my head.

I pulled out my phone and made some calls.

***

"Are the twins down for their nap?" I asked when Livie sat down beside him in the garden.

"Yeah. They were asleep the minute I put them down."

I smiled. "Listen, I wanted to tell you that I organized a get together with family and friends."

She frowned. "Who?"

"Me, you, Ethan, Jason and Zarah, Mass and Ara, Marco and Ellie, and Anthony and Elize."

"When?"

"This Saturday," I said.

Olivia

It sounded like a torturous evening for me.

Mass and Marco may have kept quiet about what really went on between Lucas and I to their wives, but they know. I bet they all hate me. I won't even get started on Anthony. He's always been aloof around me. I guess this Elize girl and him are together.

I clenched my teeth so hard, trying to stop myself from saying no. I can't imagine anything worse than being around all of Lucas' friends, who all believed I cheated on Lucas with Nick. Thankfully Zarah, Ellie, and Ara will be there. They know the truth. I can just focus on them.

"I hope that's okay, Livie," he said when I didn't say anything.

"Of course. It would be nice to see your friends again," I lied. They're important to Lucas and Lucas is important to me. Besides we're together now and sooner or later I'm going to have to face them.

He smiled. "I won't let anyone disrespect you in anyway, Livie. We'll get through this together."

"I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared, because I am. I'm a different person now, Lucas. I'm not the same girl you met a couple years ago. The one who always had an easy a smile on her face. That's not me anymore," I pointed out. "Aside from the twins, nothing matters to me anymore."