: ̗̀➛ˏˋThreeˊˎ

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───
Chapter Three
"Dauntless"
─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───Chapter Three"Dauntless"─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AS THE CEREMONY concluded, Rachel and I stood up with the rest of the new Dauntless initiates. The crowd's applause echoed in my ears, but my thoughts were a whirlwind of doubt and fear. Rachel's hand found mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze as we began to walk out of the hall. I glanced back, my heart aching as I saw our parents, their eyes teary and filled with a mixture of pride and sorrow. They hugged each other tightly, a silent farewell to the daughters they had known.

I gave a soft frown, my feet hesitating for a moment, but Rachel tugged gently on my arm. "Come on, Elowyn," she whispered, her voice firm. "We can't stop now."

As we moved through the throng of new initiates, Peter shoved past me roughly, almost knocking me off balance. Rachel hissed at him, "Watch it!" Her protective stance made me feel a surge of gratitude, but it was quickly overshadowed by a creeping doubt. Had I made the wrong choice? The weight of it all felt heavier than ever.

Scanning the crowd, I hoped to catch a glimpse of Beatrice, but she was nowhere in sight. Instead, I spotted Al and Liv. Relief washed over me as Liv hurried over, wrapping her arms around my side in a comforting hug. Al approached with a warm smile, his presence calming my frayed nerves.

"Glad to see familiar faces," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

We made our way outside, the cool air hitting us like a shock. Suddenly, the Dauntless leaders began to shout, urging us to start running. The pace picked up quickly, and I found myself sprinting alongside the others. My lungs burned, each breath a struggle. Rachel stayed close, her encouragement helping me keep up.

"You can do this, Elowyn," she panted, her eyes determined. "Just a little further."

Finally, we reached a series of metal poles, their towering heights daunting. People were already climbing up, their movements swift and practiced. I turned to Al, my eyes wide at the height.

He chuckled softly, nudging me forward. "Come on, Elowyn, you first."

My heart pounded in my chest, fear and adrenaline mixing in a dizzying rush. I reached out, gripping the pole with trembling hands. Looking up, I saw the others scaling the metal with ease. I took a deep breath, summoning every ounce of courage I had.

"You've got this," Rachel's voice echoed from below. Her faith in me was unwavering, a steady beacon in the chaos.

I pulled myself up, my muscles straining with the effort. Each inch felt like a monumental achievement, but I kept going, driven by the thought of proving to myself that I could do it. The climb was grueling, but with Al's encouragement and Rachel's unwavering support, I finally reached the top.