CHAP XLIII

ALPHA'S POV

I have a high sense of annoyance and anger within me after walking outside the president's home office but it vanishes instantly as soon we walk back to the ladies and my eyes fall on Emily.

She has her back to me.
But her body frame in the same room as mine is enough to pick up the rate of my heartbeat and fill my inside with excitement.

What are you doing to me Emily, seriously for how long will you lock me in your personal prison?

I can't get over how beautiful she looks in that outfit tonight. She looks so gracefully perfect in all the right ways. I didn't miss how these old bugs that rule our country kept stealing my glances of hers for themselves.

It made my insides roar but mostly I realized it was my fault for serving her to them. What the hell was I thinking about bringing her here? Of course, she was going to be each of these old bugs' fantasy.

With an inward growl, I storm to her but I stop in my tracks at the intervention on my way.
"Alpha?" I arch my brow as I stare at the second daughter of the president with disinterest.

No offense to her, but she shouldn't be in my way while I'm chasing my sole purpose of living.

My eyes draw back to Sky when she lets out an edged girly giggle. "Oh my God, you are so tall. It's so rare for me to meet guys with your height. Men who tower over me and make me feel intimidated. I love it." I pin her a questioning look. What does that have to do with me?

I flinch when her hand falls on my biceps and I don't bother hiding it. Her smile falls from her face when she catches it too but she doesn't withdraw her hand from where it lays unwanted.

"You know all these years I never got the chance to thank you in person for what you did for me and my family. It warmed my heart. I realized men should all stand up and fight for truth the same way you fought for our country and my family."

I gently step aside as I shift my weight to the other leg making her hand fall before saying. "It doesn't have to be men only. Women, everyone in general should stand up and fight for the truth and what is right. If we want peace," I say. "And for your gratitude, you don't have to thank me for doing what my responsibilities simply required me to do. I swore to fight for my country and that's what I was doing and keep doing, as simple as that. Now if you would excuse me." I don't wait for a reply from her.

That was enough entertaining, even from me to her. I walk the rest of the distance between me and Emily and put my arm around her back.

A flood of warmth spreads all over my chest when she doesn't jump or flinch and instead leans in my touch.
I lean in her ear and whisper. "Do you want to leave?" She turns to look at me and gives me a faint nod.

I nod back at her, I turn to the group she was with and humbly excuse us.
"I apologize for cutting this short, but Emily and I are going to leave first." They nod so I took that as a cue to sneak my arm further to her waist pulling her closely to my side as I lead us out.

I can feel Emily's hot gaze on my side but I don't question her because I know tonight must have been a lot for her. When we got in the car, I also felt her gaze on me.

"Emily," I say her name not turning to glance at her and only keeping my gaze on the road.

She hums back a response.
This time I glance at her casually.
"Do you have something you want to say to me?" I voice in a slow voice before turning back to glance at the road.

We are stopped at the red light so I fully turn to glance at her.
She turns to face ahead. "You have been staring at me since I asked you if we can leave early, what is it?" She turns to smile my way.