𝐓𝐞𝐧

━━━━━━━━━.◦*∘☽

𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞

Something opening is what causes me to wake up, but I refuse to open my eyes as my hearing is hyper sensitive right now and I don't want the thing in the room with me to know I'm awake, but my panic sets in and I realize just how vulnerable I am right now.

My gun, I need my gun.

So, without hesitation, I spring up from the bed and rush toward my gun on the floor, resting outside of its hostler by my bag, and as fast as a bolt of lightening, I click off the safety and turn and point it right at the thing inside the room with me.

"Fuck don't shoot me!" Gage's deep voice shouts as he takes in my panic covered face and the gun pointing right at his head with my finger seconds away from pulling the trigger.

"Gage?" I ask him, trying to shake delirium from my head and the initial panic coursing through my body as I eyeball him, trying to make sure he's real.

"Yes, it's me. Put the damn gun down before ya blow my head off. I'd like to think I'm pretty enough to not get my face blown off this early into my day." He says, sarcasm dripping in the last part of his words and I lower the gun, but my grip on it doesn't loosen as I try to catch up with reality.

"Where are we?" I ask and his face falls ever so slightly at my question.

"The CDC." He tells me and then everything from last night plays through my head like a fast forward replay on an old DVD player.

"Fuck, how long was I asleep?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Not very long I believe. There's no real way of knowin' what time it is down here, but the others are awake." He tells me and I nod, glad he's decided for both of our sakes not to mention my gun being pointed at his face not even five minutes ago. "T is cookin' up some breakfast I think, so when ya're ready, I'll see ya out there." He says before grabbing what I can assume is what made him come back into the room in the first place, and I see it's his knife.

He silently slips it into his waistband and then covers it with his shirt before turning to leave the room.

When the door opens, I can't help but cringe at the bright light seeping into the room as he leaves, before the room falls back into mostly darkness aside from the glowing light seeping into the room from under the door.

I look down at my gun, and sigh deeply, guessing that this has become my new normal.

After being on edge for weeks, or months I can't just forget about what living outside of these walls has caused.

The raw shit that the world has become, or how much I've dealt with, and everyone in this group has had to endure outside trying to scrap by every single day, constantly fearing the worst case scenario.

Pulling my gun on Gage makes my stomach turn at the possibility of what could've happened if I didn't wait a few seconds to pull the trigger, but I shake the thought and toss my gun onto my bed.

This world is changing me too fast, and I don't like what might've happened if the person on the other end of my reaction had been my brother or sister.

Disgust clings to my body for a few minutes at the mere idea of something like that happening, of me being the one to pull the trigger out of fear, caused by the things I've witnessed.

I get up, wanting to escape what might've happened, forget it even occurred and head for the door without daring to stop until my hand is twisting the door handle and the bright LED lights on the ceiling instantly burn my retinas.