𝐓𝐰𝐨

━━━━━━━━━.◦*∘☽

𝐏𝐫𝐞 - 𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐩𝐬𝐞

The normal two and a half hour trip to Atlanta had turned into a five hour escapade, as a state wide broadcast had been released;  telling everyone to get to Atlanta, or the nearest major city for refuge against this disease.

Frustration had become my new best friend in the last several hours, as we'd been at a stand still on the highway leading into the city for the last hour and a half now, and it was damn near bumper to bumper traffic with no sign of movement anytime soon.

The sun was high in the sky at this point, and many people from other cars were brave enough to leave their cars in hopes of finding other's they know in the midst of the traffic jam, but we were staying inside the car, for now, in case things went sideways.

I'd familiarized myself with each car around us, their license plates, and each person inside them because it was better than staring at the ass end of my dad's Tahoe.

"Why do you think we aren't moving?" Eli asks me and I turn away from the blue Toyota I was memorizing the plate number of and look at him.

"I don't know, but I can assume it's because there's a lot of people trying to get into the city at once and they're trying to keep people calm." I suggest, as I'd thought up about thirty different logical answers to the same exact question since before we'd stopped moving.

"Do you think dad has heard from his commander yet?" He asks me and I shrug.

"If he has, I doubt they'll be able to find us and get both of our cars out of this mess." I tell him honestly and he nods.

"This went from slightly promising to we're fucked very quickly." He says and my lips form a thin line, because he's right.

We were told to come here to meet up with a military group, and now we're dead stopped in the middle of a sea of people and cars with the very real threat of a deadly disease that is wiping the population out.

If things go sideways at all on this highway, we don't have much of an escape route to get the hell out of here as my front end is nearly kissing my dad's back end and the car behind mine isn't much better.

None of the cars here are, as people had taken every inch they could to try and get closer to the city even in a stand still and it was both frustrating and relieving.

━━━━━━━━━.◦*∘☽

The sun has started to set now, and still we haven't moved an inch.

A few hours ago, we'd finally abandoned sitting inside our cars, and now we were closely knitted between the hood of my car and the open trunk of my dad's tahoe.

My dad had stricken up a conversation with a man named Shane who like us, had a family.

The women, Lori, seemed friendly enough, and her son Carl was around Danika's age so the two children had spent the last several hours occupying each other while I continued to eye the surrounding area for anything that might be amiss.

About twenty minutes ago, fed up with the traffic and being surrounded by people, my dad and Shane had decided to go out and about scouting to see if they could find anyone in this mass of people who'd found an alternative area to go to.

Skeptical and on alert that my dad was now somewhere in the masses of people, it left me to keep my hand firmly on my gun, which I'd acquired the moment we'd left the safety of the car.