𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

━━━━━━━━━.◦*∘☽

𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞

A few seconds pass before the bright lights of the building dim to a regular glow, and I hold my gun tighter, not sure of what to expect once we walk into this building, and I feel a muscular arm brush against mine as we all start to walk into the building.

"Hello?" Rick calls out once we all make it inside as everyone scans the rather large building and its emptiness.

"Close those doors." Dale demands.

I look at Gage who like me is on high alert and has his bow raised, looking around.

"Watch for walkers." My dad says to everyone and we all mindlessly look around, trying to find someone, anyone who is responsible for opening the doors to the building when a gun cocks, and everyone with a gun aims it in the direction of the sound, myself included.

When I catch sight of a single man with an automatic pointing at all of us, I resist the urge to scoff because the dude looks rough and no where close to a scientist, like someone who will find the cure to this disease.

He looks like a simple man you'd see out on the streets before the world ended buying groceries or taking his kids to a soccer game.

"Anybody infected?" He shouts, gun still raised and at the ready, and I now notice that the position he's holding the gun in wouldn't allow for very much accuracy, even when you're a good shot like Shane, Rick, my dad, or myself.

The best he could do is pull the trigger and hope he hits someone, but I don't voice any of my thoughts, my gun pointed right at his head, waiting for something bad to happen or this stranger to make a wrong move.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it." Rick replies for everyone, taking the lead in the conversation.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The stranger asks all of us.

"A chance." Rick answers once more, his gun lowering just a hair.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." The man points out and I watch Rick tilt his head a bit at the statement.

"I know." Rick tells him, and then the man takes a good long look at our group.

From Rick and his family, to Dale, Carol and Sophia who are clinging to each other like glue, me and Gage, my family, Daryl, everyone.

"You all submit to a blood test, that's the price of admission." The guy says after a moment of taking inventory on our group.

"We can do that." Rick agrees, and I feel the tension in my shoulders lessen just slightly.

The man quickly lowers his gun and starts speaking once more.

"You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed." The man says factually as if it will be non-negotiable later on.

At this, everyone takes a moment to form a very small group of only three to run out to the cars and grab everything that was left inside them.

I opt out of the process of running through the walker infested streets even though I'm one of the faster runners of the group as I've had my fair share of near death experiences for the last week to want to add any more near encounters to my ever growing list.

Unfortunately, Gage was nominated, along with Glenn, and my dad to be the ones to run out to get everyone's shit, and I was left on baby sitting duty until he came back.

The process was fast, not even five minutes but in those five minutes, I waited for their safe return with never ending nerves and a never easing fear knawing at my system.