24 endings

Pony's POV:
July 31st, Wednesday
Bipolar Disorder. Darry had Bipolar Disorder. It's supposed to mean he can have times where he's up and times where he's completely down. He's going to therapy to help with it every Saturday. But school starts back tomorrow. Not for him though. College is later than that.

Mom throws us a cook out, but gets Steve to fire up the grill. She said he needs to be a man. His whole family came over. All this time I've known Steve, I'm just now realizing I don't know his parents very well just his sisters.

His mom smoked her cigarettes and talked her talk to my momma, and his Dad patrolled him and joked about his grilling skills.

Darry was walking around spraying us with hose water. Not typical Darry activities, but I'm thankful.

Mr. Cade brought water balloons and he filled them up full before he chucked one straight and Johnny and knocked his sunglasses straight off his face.

"Dad!" Johnny stood up and the balloons began.

Everyone was laughing and Soda was covered in glass from falling over.

Mr. Cade even threw one at Momma when Johnny ran too fast from in front of her.

We all stopped in fear. She must be livid.

"Sorry, Grandma. I forgot you're too old to play." He shrugged at his joke.

"Kelvin, do you want Grandma to show you how we play round here?" And while she was talking she walked straight up to him and poured the whole bucket of water balloons on his head.

We all just started laughing again, his curls were soaked.

"Oh wow, now I gotta redo all the balloons." He rolled his eyes playfully.

We continued to play until it was time to eat and then we ate like dogs.

Steve passed something around Soda's back and whispered something to his older sister and then a little box appeared right beside him. And then we all sort of noticed.

"Oh my goodness." Johnny whispered it in awe.

"What?" Soda's eyes darted around and he looked very confused with us.

"What's that?" Steve nodded at the box.

I felt a smile creep across my face as Soda picked it up.

He looked at it like a deadly spider might come out.

"Is this yours?" He asked Darry.

Darry shrugged, "no."

He looked around at every single person at the table before his eyes made it Steve's.

"Hm, sure. I could give this a go." He took it from him and got up, before he got back down on one knee.

"Woah." Soda had tears slowly coming down his face.

"Soda." He said it all nice like only Steve can.

"Steve." He was laughing on the tears and we all laughed with him. Only we were just that happy, not overwhelmed.

"You know I've known you for twelve years now right? And I still go to sleep at night and I wonder. How many more years could we do this? And the only possible answer is forever. But fortunately I don't have to be your boyfriend forever. So, why couldn't I be your husband?"
He shrugged.

Soda did this dramatic huff and wiped his face, "well then go ahead put my ring on husband what are you waiting for?" And we laughed and Steve put the ring on his finger.

"And you might as well tie my shoe for me while you're down there husband." Soda said the word 'husband' like most people would say the word 'fancy' or 'elegant'.