11

it's important to find out the secret on the bottom on chapter 10 since it is important to the story.

------

ryujin's pov

Time passed, and now we are getting dinner ready. Surprisingly Mr. and Mrs. Hwang is actually here to eat dinner with us. The atmosphere of the room is very suffocating. It's quiet... too quiet.

Everyone was aware of the dirty looks Yeji had been giving her father as soon as he entered the room. We were all sitting in the living room while some of the cooks were cooking. I offered to help, but Yeji wanted me to stay with her. I don't think she was aware that I wanted to help so I could escape that living room.

The energy in the room was so off that even Ni-ki was quiet. He was next to Yeji fidgeting with her shirt while their parents sat and watched the TV. The TV didn't even help with the tension in the room. They weren't even watching anything entertaining, just the news.

Finally a doorbell was heard that interrupted whatever spirit was being exchanged in that hellbent room.

"Yeji, would you please get the door" Mr. Hwang spoke, not even sparing a glance at his daughter.

She rolled her eyes, and got up with a cold expression.

"Yeji." Mrs. Hwang said loudly.

"Sorry" Yeji said in a more polite tone.

This intrigued me. It was clear enough that Yeji had a bad relationship with her father, but she doesn't oftenly interact with her mother. Whenever she does, she is always so polite and there's no hint of spite in her words. She always gives her mother true smiles, but as soon as she faces her father it turns sour.

"What are you doing here?" I heard Yeji say in a not-so friendly voice. Footsteps could be heard approaching the living room where everyone is.

"Oh, brother." Mr. Hwang said under his breath.

"Sorry to visit all unannounced and everything, but I just couldn't resist seeing my family" The man who entered the living room said. I looked at Ni-ki so I can clear some of my confusion. He seemed a little conflicted, so this man is part of the family but not that liked among the family.

I got up and stood next to Yeji with my bodyguard posture, unsure if this man was a threat or not.

"Where are my manners? Joanne, this is my brother, Yeji and Riki's uncle. Brother, this is Yeji's personal bodyguard, Joanne" Mr. Hwang introduced us.

Yeji's uncle stuck his hand out, and I shook his hand. His gaze was staring at me and holding my hand longer than I anticipated. I even already stopped shaking his hand at this point.

In my peripheral vision, I saw Yeji mouth something to Ni-ki. Something along the line of 'get his attention and I'll give you candy'. Ni-ki quickly got up and lifted his arms towards his uncle.

"UNCLE MIN!" Ni-ki shouted excitedly with a big smile. His uncle let go of my hand and shifted his attention to Ni-ki. He picked him up with a smile and Ni-ki hugged his neck. Yeji placed her hand on my shoulder, giving a reassuring smile.

I felt her uncle's gaze on us while we were looking at each other contently. I stared back at their uncle and couldn't help but notice something about his and Ni-ki's hug.

Both smiles were fake.

The cook interrupted us quickly and told us that the food was ready, even sparing a plate for the uncle.

We made our way to the dining room. We started eating and out of nowhere, Yeji's uncle had many questions.

"So Yeji, how's training going?" Yeji's uncle asked out of the blue, making Yeji choke on her food. I patted her back and she told me that she was okay. Her uncle raised his eyebrow at this.