Chapter 64: The Final Horcrux

I once again sob against Draco's chest, his arms holding onto me tightly, as tight as he can manage in the state he's in. I can almost feel him using every piece of strength he has left to make sure I don't let go.

I have so much I need to say to him, yet I can't help but just continue to cry as we hold each other. I had grieved for the loss of him so many times that I didn't think this was possible; I still don't believe it is. I still don't know if this is real.

Suddenly, I hear Lucius get up. Narcissa immediately retrieves her wand and removes the curse from him while I hold onto Draco.

I slowly let go and reluctantly pick myself up. Draco immediately tries to pick himself up and grunts at the pain. I know what the Cruciatus curse feels like; I know the pain he's feeling. It takes days to regain your strength after something like that, especially for who knows how long he was enduring it.

"Take it easy," I say, supporting him as he sits up.

"I am fine," he says stubbornly before wincing at the pain.

That behavior would normally make me roll my eyes, but in this moment, everything that shows me he's back to his old self is immensely welcome.

"I can't believe it's really you... I can't believe you are alive," I say as another tear falls down my cheek.

His hand immediately wipes the tear away as he cups my cheek and stares back at me with a sympathetic look.

"All because of you...one more second and I could have died... or lost my mind," he says in disbelief.

"This is going to sound crazy, but I could feel it... I could feel that something was wrong... I don't know how to explain it ... like we are connected somehow," I say, holding his hand.

"We are... we always have been," he says gently.

I stare back into his icy gray eyes, feeling a sense of familiarity. His eyes finally look at me the way he used to. Suddenly, he frowns as his fingers run across the scar on my face; his expression turns cold before he looks away. I knew what he was feeling; the scar was a reminder of everything we've been through, it was what started this entire mess. If I hadn't gotten attacked, Draco would not have tried to save me, and Narcissa would not have erased his memory.

His cold gaze turns into anger as he brings his eyes to his mother, who I just suddenly realize has been keeping her distance from him this whole time. I follow his gaze to see her standing nervously with Lucius, staring back at her son with guilt and remorse.

"Draco... Please understand," Narcissa says gently.

"You kept her as a fucking slave FOR MONTHS... there is nothing to understand... there is nothing left to say to you," he growls.

"Draco, don't," I begin.

"Murphy, I remember everything, I remember how I treated you, I remember how they treated you... I even remember ... using the Cruciatus curse on you... I WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THAT IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT FUCKING CURSE," Draco growls before wincing once more at the pain.

"Draco... all of this can wait, okay, we obviously all have a lot to talk about, but right now, I need you to get home to safety and recover. I need you to get your strength back, and I need you to be far away from this war," I say, cupping his cheek. His hand immediately covers mine on his face as he stares back at me.

"...okay, let's go," he says finally.

"Draco... I can't come with you ... I have to.... I have to finish this with my friends once and for all," I say firmly.