Prologue

"Rachel, come on!! The movie is about to start!!" My dad shouted from downstairs.

"Okay okay. I'm coming!" I yelled.

I quickly changed into some shorts and ran downstairs.

Friday was always a day I'd like to spend with my family. Since they're always busy, I thought about having a day where we can always do something together.

I entered the living room and sat between my parents.

"What took you so long?" My mom asked.

"Sorry, I was just texting the boys and changed my clothes." I answered and smiled at her.

"Oh okay"

"Can you two please shut up? The movie started and I want to watch." My dad jokingly said.

Mom and I both rolled our eyes but didn't say anything.

My father chose The Pursuit of Happiness and mom and I groaned. See, every Friday one us of chooses the movie we're going to watch and when it's my father's turn he always chooses the same movie. I have nothing against it but we're getting bored of it.

Halfway through the movie my stomach grumbled. I stood up and went to the kitchen and grabbed me a bag of chips. I walked back and we continued watching the movie.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

"I'm going to the toilet." I told my parents after the movie was over. They both nodded and I went to the bathroom that's in my room.

After I finished I got out to find my parents pacing back and forth in my room.

"What's wrong?" I asked them and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Shh, be quiet. We want you to hide in your closet. Don't come out until you think it's right." My dad whispered.

I looked at my mom and she had a frightened look on her face.

"Dad, what's going on?" I worriedly whispered back, not knowing what's wrong.

"We'll tell you later. Now go hide in your closet and make sure to have your phone with you."

I obliged and entered my closet and locked it behind me. My closet is pretty big in case you're wondering how I'm going to fit in it. I hid behind my hanging clothes and sat on the floor.

What could possibly be happening downstairs? Are we getting robbed or something?

My heart started beating faster and I wanted to come out to see if my parents were okay but they wanted me to hide so I tried staying still.

After what felt like forever I heard screaming and glass shattering.

What the hell is going on?

I heard people yelling at each other and things being thrown. I tried to hear what the people were saying but I couldn't make out exactly what. The voices were getting quieter. I caught my dad saying "Please don't do that. We'll do anything you want!"

Now I'm starting to get really worried. I took my phone and dialed 911.

"911. What's your emergency?" The lady on the phone asked.

"Some people broke into our house and my parents are downstairs. I'm getting really worried.. Please come!" I said and felt the tears making their way down my cheeks.

"Okay, don't worry miss. Just tell us your address and we'll come as soon as we can."

I told her my address and hung up. I hope they'll hurry up before something happens. I heard another scream and something being thrown. Now my body is shaking and I wish there was something I could do to help my parents.

After 10 minutes I heard the sirens coming near. Once I heard the sirens I heard gun shots. I gasped and covered my mouth to prevent myself from screaming. Once I heard the police officers in my house, yelling at whoever broke in, I dared to come out of the closet. I slowly walked downstairs afraid of what I might see. I entered the living room and froze. I regret my decision of coming down there.

Both of my parents were lying on the floor with a big pool of blood around them. This can't be happening.

"NOOOOOO!!!" I screamed.

I ran to my parents and got down on my knees beside them. My mother was shot in the chest and my father in the head. I can't believe it. This is not true. I shook my father by his shoulders.

"Dad, come on this isn't funny!" I cried.

I heard an ambulance and soon found the paramedics rushing inside. A police officer tried to keep me away but I kept kicking and screaming at him to let me go. Another officer came and held me still and I just couldn't fight him back. There were other police officers who were holding the people that killed my parents. They were only two. One of them looked me in the eye and if looks could kill, I would have been dead by now. His eyes were so full of hatred. He won't do anything to me, right? I looked away and my eyes fell on my parents. I still can't believe this is actually true. I fell on the floor and kept crying until my vision started to get blurry and everything went black.