Rising Dread

Gusts of wind echo inside of Sans' skull, blowing some snow into the large crack. His socket twitches from the uncomfortable feeling of something foreign in his head but he doesn't move from the spot he's sitting.

After Sans had left the human in the shed, he felt a strange sense of pride from being the cause of the fear in its eyes.

Papyrus immediately hounded him the second he entered the house and that's how he ended up right back at his sentry station.

How often had he found himself in this exact spot? He's losing track of time, it's useless to keep records on stuff anymore.

Clicks of his phalanges on the rotting wooden surface slowly pulls him out of his fog for a few seconds, it's a bad habit he's grown accustomed to doing over the past several years.

The sharp ends of his fingers dig into the wood followed by the quiet scritching. Why is he even here? He could be in the shed with that human or better yet sleeping.

Sans groans in defeat, there was no point to this. Everyone is gonna starve to death anyways so why keep fighting?

Loud screaming cuts off his thoughts, sockets narrowing in the direction the scream came from. He didn't recognize the voice, therefore it's not remotely close to his problem.

The barking and snarls of the remaining canine unit sound as if they're rapidly approaching. Not even thirty seconds pass before he sees a human run past his station, the dogs in tow.

Sans stared blankly at the scene before him, his memory suddenly snapped back as he realized.

DAMMIT, that was his human.

With his cleaver now in hand, he sprinted after them.

It didn't take long before he caught up, the human had been tackled down by a snarling Greater Dog. Without thinking twice, Sans slammed his body against the much larger monster with as much force as he could.

Thankfully, his plan worked almost perfectly, Greater Dog was knocked off of the human but wasn't completely subdued. Sans now had to defend himself and an unconscious human from what was previously known as the royal guard.

The largest monster leaped at him and Sans sidestepped, watching as the dog hit the ground pushing up snow.

More growling and snapping from the canine unit emerges from them, all three keeping their distance but still clearly on the verge of attacking. He refused to look away from them, his red eye bore into each of them as he took a defensive stance.

Snow and dust drifted through the air with a soft breeze, no monster dared to move. It was silent other than the dogs that stood before Sans, his soul hummed in his ribs. Sans took initiative, he couldn't let this little stand continue for any longer.

These monsters that were once his friends are no longer here; the only thing that remains of them is a shell of what they once were being filled by ravenous beasts.

Several sharp bones protrude from the snowy ground below. The dogs yelp in surprise and stumble away from the wave of bloodied bones coming at them.

Doggo leaps towards Sans with his jaw open, teeth on display. This time however, he doesn't move, the cleaver in his left hand swings and catches the monster by the chest.

Liquid-like dust explodes in all directions, covering the cleaver and his clothes. Seeing this display causes the other dogs to flee into the forest, not wanting to risk having the same fate as Doggo.

Sans thought about finishing off the rest of the royal guardsmen of Snowdin but quickly decided against it. The human, his human, was losing too much blood.