Can You Really Call This a Romance?

Metal clanking of bear traps being set echoed in the empty forest. Sans was starting to get desperate to not resort to feeding his brother the human.

He had been on the hunt, and so far, it was coming up empty handed. He was hoping to find a human, or even a roaming monster would have been fine. But he couldn't find anything of the sort.

His soul growled, and the thought of eating the human female almost seemed tempting.

As satisfying as it would be to tear into its fragile flesh and watch the life drain from those terrified eyes, Sans couldn't bring himself to go through with it no matter how many times he stood in front of that shed door.

Another bear trap clicked into place, he kicked some snow and foliage over the trap with little care.

He knew that any human that fell would be far too delirious to double check for traps.

Sans had done this many times before, it never failed to amuse him how stupid mankind became once panic hit them.

Smiling darkly to himself as he knew the panic and confusion the humans would be caught up in as they struggled to free themselves from the sharp teeth of the traps.

It was one of the few pleasures he had left in this desolate setting, so he made the most of it.

For a moment, Sans wondered how quickly the human in his shed would have survived if it had been able to successfully escape.

He wasn't expecting that it would live very long, especially not in the harsh conditions of this snowy hell.

Sans had to focus on the task at hand: finding food.

Still he pressed on, taking each step with more effort than the last; exhaustion slowly overtaking him.

"BROTHER! THERE YOU ARE."

Shit, guess sleeping is out the window.

Papyrus grinned down at Sans with a crooked smile, his squinting sockets betraying a past when he once had better vision and a perfect set of teeth.

It was a reminder of the toll eating human flesh had taken on him over the years, even though they both knew it was the only way to survive.

But Papyrus never let it get him down; instead, he remained in high spirits and cheered Sans on every time they searched for food.

"HAVE YOU CHECKED ANY OF YOUR TRAPS YET?"

As much as Sans adored his brother, he couldn't deny that his constant shouting left him with persistent headaches and a ringing that he simply couldn't ignore.

Papyrus's enthusiasm and volume were always a bit hard to handle, but it was a trait he had come to accept.

Yet, at times like these, when they must rely on one another for survival, the constant barrage of sound only served to exacerbate the pain that filled Sans' empty gut.

"'course bro. in fact, i was just layin' down s'more bear traps."

The nonchalant tone from Sans only served for Paps to frown a bit, he knew this meant no luck.

"I CAN SEE THAT."

A brief moment of silence followed the exchange, Sans didn't enjoy talking more than he absolutely had to.

"WELL SANS, AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO CHECK THE REST OF MY TRAPS WITH YOU. IT IS PROBABLY FOR THE BEST IF WE SPLIT UP IN CASE ANY HUMANS ATTEMPT A GET AWAY."

He sounds almost proud of himself, Sans just hums in acknowledgement and turns away from his brother who's now jogging surprisingly silent through the snow.