Closer and Closer

As the group stage went by we made it through. Winning all games possible.

The team was at a high, and we had the best odds to win the cup.
Leah and i would spend days of recovery together. away from the outside world and just the two of us together

We managed to make it to the semi final.

We were against sweden.

Spain was against france.

As the game kicks off i'm starting a sub still, me and ellen white rotating who starts. Half time whistle blew and it was 2-2.

The girls slumped into the dressing room, anxious but scared about the potential loss.

during this, i was told to warm up. white was getting tired, and it was my time to come on.

As i walked onto the pitch, it was our kick. As the ref blew the whistle i made a pass back to georgia who played the ball amongst herself and the midfielders.

A mistake from millie led us to concede. It was now 2-3 in the 65' min.

Everyone looked down, but we had time left to keep going. As play carried on, hemp was through on goal until she was taken down outside the penalty box

"REF!" screamed leah and keira. The ref signals a free kick.

As lauren goes to take it she stands back.
"Sienna you have!"

As i walk up to the ball, my heart drops as i see the defenders putting me off. I placed in my mind where i wanted the ball to go and stuck with it. Top right corner.

As the ref blew the whistle, my heart was pounding louder than the fans cheering. i ran towards the ball, all the power in my legs rushing to my right foot. i watch as the ball span round the defenders and smacked the back of the net with a menacing hit.

The crowd screamed. i screamed, the girls screamed. That was it 3-3. We are back in this.

The final whistle blew and extra time it was. This was it, or penalty's.

Extra time stayed equal. we knew it was penalty's or nothing.

"right." sarina says

"greenwood i want you first, then kelly, daly then you england then sienna i want you"

"seriously?" i say

"yes, you five get us that win"

We cheered as we walked towards the half way line. Ready to start the shootout.

We scored our three pens, and so did sweden. Beth's strong penalty was saved by the goal keeper. Shit. Sweden scored.

it was now 3-4 on pens. we could only pray.

as i walked to the spot , leah tapped me on the back

"go and smash this" she says beaming

As i walk to the spot i pick my target. Bottom left . The ref blows the whistle and i'm able to slot the ball straight into the bottom corner. The crow errupts . It's now time to wait for sweden.

The pressure was on, tension filled the air as we waited for the final kick. It was now 4-4. If they score we loose. If they miss we have another chance. The sweedish player shoots and the ball goes directly to earps. we all scream with joy. Our final kick taker was james.

lauren strikes the ball hard down the middle, confusing the goalkeeper who dives to the left.
5-4 to england.

Sweetens last chance. But earps caught it by her fingertips. We did it. We are off to the final!!!

*day of the final*

The final came around. The biggest day of my football career. I made the starting line up.

We were against france. A big team with quality players. I was sat on my own in the dressing room when leah came in.

"hey you" she says walking up to me
"hi captain" i kiss her

suddenly a few more girls walk in and we move away from eachother , sparking up a convo about food.

Later on the game started . Twenty minutes in, leah awarded a penalty to france with a message challenge. Booked with a yellow card she slumped. She was disappointed and embarrassed. I watched her as i saw tears in her eyes. She was comforted by lucy as france took the kick. It flew over the bar. Leah covered her face in relief.

The game carried on at a fast tempo.
I scored the first goal ten mins later in the 31' a simple half volley crossed in by lucy

later on hemp scores making it 2-0

it was our day. we were so close .

it was the 60' and it was me against the keeper. As she ran towards me i flicked the ball past her as i ran onto it , with an open goal i score making it 3-0.

As the game carried on it go to the 80' . A corner for england. Hemp crossed the ball into the box as i jumped and connected it with my head. I scored. my first every england hatrick and in the final. The girls cheered and the crowed erupted in singing and screaming.

The final whistle blew and we were crowned champions of europe!!

After the game, we all went out to celebrate the moment. Heading to multiple bars and clubs in london. I spent most the night with leah , wishing it was just me and her. We knew now we had the chance of being together

"we did it sienna!! we did it!" she hugs me tightly

"we are champions!" i say dancing next to her

she laughs as she looks at me
"i really want to kiss you!" she shouts over the commotion

"do it then!"
instantly she pulls me into a kiss. finally. one i've waited for, for weeks. sone of the girls noticed and cheered.
"are you two - you know?" georgia shouts

leah wraps her arm around my shoulder "not official yet but.... potentially!" she shouts
The girls erupt in a scream as they are genuinely happy. I looked at leah with so much pride

We won the final, i scored three goals, leah williamson and i are happier than ever.