Part 18

It had already passed a week since Dan and Jaekyung talked to each other. In the lab, Jaekyung was only focused on works and experiments, while Dan was preparing the final research papers. Their collaborators noticed the strange way they were acting around each other but nobody said a thing since Jaekyung was very intimidating.

Dan had tried to talk to him but the only answers he received were about the experiments and how they will eventually turn out. Asking him everything else was off-limits, even for Dan. One day he asked if the latter bought lunch, but Jaekyung completely ignored him and didn't answer.

It was frustrating and Dan couldn't wait to wrap up the project and go miles away.

Sure, he had feelings for Jaekyung but the way he was acting was painful, after the glimpse of his sweetness he had tasted during their trip.

Sometimes he just came home and collapsed on the bed crying all night along.

Loving someone and being treated like a ghost was the worst punishment. And for what? For having a dream? Dan was sad but also...disappointed. He didn't want to lose the opportunity that could change his life forever, he couldn't betray his love for science and his granny. He wanted to work for everyone who wants another chance in life.

It was night and Dan didn't fall asleep yet. He had drank a bit and he felt dizzy. So many nights tormenting himself about what to do, and how to talk to Jaekyung before leaving definitely. He even tried to write a letter but every word seemed not enough to him.

"Oh whatever..." he took his phone, knowing that he was doing the most stupid thing he could ever do.

I miss you...
Send.

"Oh...what the hell, this is so stupid, I can't believe" he buried his face in the pillow, checking his phone now and then.

The text was delivered. And read.

Dan panicked, thinking about every excuse he could, before Jaekyung answer him things like "not my problem, fuck off, etc.".

Instead, he didn't answer and that was even worse, Dan thought. He threw the phone away. Tears dripped down his face.

"It's over... but...did it even start...?"

After an hour somebody knocked on the door, but Dan was already sleeping.