AKC 3

I am summoned to Dr. Sarah's office almost immediately.

The space is filled with other important personnel and I fight the urge to shuffle under their openly scheming gazes.

Dr. Sarah approaches me. She beams at me but I sense a falseness about it. "Gweneth. Everyone has been buzzing about the recent news. But we'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth. Is it true?"

She makes it sound like I'd just announced an engagement. To her question, I nod. "Yes. I... I'm his mate." Saying it out loud sounds surreal. Impossible.

Shifter-human pairings are rare. So rare there hasn't been any recorded cases of it actually happening. But to be fair, we only just found out shifters existed a few decades ago, so I'll give it time.

If possible Dr. Sarah's smile widens. She claps like an excited schoolgirl and my discomfort grows. "This is good news!" She turns her attention to the team behind, and in a voice breathy with excitement, she announces, "It appears we've just made a breakthrough."

White smiles pass around the group and I'm left in the dark, a foreboding chill starting to make its way through me.

Dr. Sarah turns back to me. "As of today, you're to resign your job as a scientist."

My breath stops. "Why--"

"Because you're going to be assigned another job, of course."

"What job?"

"Take care of the Alpha. Ensure he's well-fed. You're to spend a great deal of time with him so that the bond between the two of you can strengthen. He would never relax if there were cameras around or security guards patrolling the area, so we've decided to cut those short. We're relying on you to keep him...in check."

I search her eyes, growing uneasy. "Why?" And why would they trust me with such responsibility? Are they so certain I wouldn't betray them, or do they have something on me that'll ensure I won't?

A dark look passes over her face. "That way he can do whatever we ask of him once he thinks you're in danger," she replies.

I suddenly find it hard to swallow. "I don't want any part in this."

Her eyes snap to mine like she didn't expect I'd not be on board with her plan. "What?"

"This." My arm does a wild sweep in the air. "I don't want any part in any of this. This is where I draw the line."

The people around all stiffen, glaring daggers at me like I am vile. Like I am damning humanity by refusing to partake in their plan.

Dr. Sarah steps closer to me. Her voice lowers. "You could be forced."

So they do have something on me? I stiffen and draw up to my full height. "Is that what happens when you become a Hunter, have your free will taken away from you? I thought the very thing we fought for was freedom."

She doesn't waver. "Your report states a next of kin in Las Vegas. A sister. A drunk and a drug addict who cannot be trusted with taking care of her own son. But despite this, you love her. Wouldn't like to see her washed up dead in some lake, would you? And her son..."

My breath rattles out of me and I don't care if my terror is stark on my face.

The woman pats the side of my face gently before drawing away. "Now just do as we say and no one gets hurt."

When I go home later, I stare blankly ahead as I heat some mashed potatoes, giving halfhearted answers to Rylan's excited rambling.

When night falls I sneak into his bed, wrapping my arms around him. The seven-year-old soon stirs awake and blinks up at me blearily. "Mum? What are you doing here? You know I can sleep alone now, right?"