CH 27: The Looks Of Him

**WARNING: RACISM! ** 

"I want to speak to my daughter." Esme's father growled on the other end of the phone.

Alastor took the phone away from his ear for a second, glancing over at Esme who stood right beside him before replying in an obnoxious, cheery tone, "I'm afraid she can't talk right now, with her mouth full and all." Esme gasps and smacks Alastor's arm. He laughs, "But in all seriousness, Mr. Luciano, unfortunately she's a little...busy." He glanced sideways at her for just a moment with a smug facial expression while he spoke into the phone.

"Doing what exactly?" Her father persists, "Marrying another random fellow she just met, or sending another scandalous telegram?" He snickers.

Alastor couldn't help but smirk and scoff slightly as her father spoke to him, he rolled his eyes as he spoke, "...busy spending quality time with her husband. Oh, how I love saying that term...it's just so amazing, wouldn't you agree?"

"I'm sure she can take a few minutes to speak with her father." Frank says sternly, "Esme, I know you can hear me." He says.

Alastor gently bit his tongue as her father commanded her to speak to him, gritting his teeth and feeling his blood boil again at his tone as he spoke to her. He glanced over at Esme before speaking softly for her only to hear, "Listen to me, darlin'. Don't answer him, just listen."

Esme looks up at him and remains quiet, listening to him. Alastor notes her obedience.

Alastor smiled softly, holding the phone firmly against his ear as he stood beside her, before hearing her father's voice again.

"...answer me, girl."

Alastor rolled his eyes and sighed softly, gently speaking into the phone in a cold and sarcastic manner, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "...oh? You're addressing your daughter as "girl", now? Quite disrespectful, don't you think?.."

Esme puts a hand on Alastor's chest to settle him, she reaches for the phone. "Yes?" She says meekingly into the receiver.

Alastor glanced at her as she gently placed her hand on his chest, he immediately felt his heart rate slow at her touch as he calmed slightly. His eyes locked her with hers, listening intently.

"Have you lost your fucking mind?" Her father growls on the other end of the phone.

Esme sighs, "I knew it was the only way to get you to listen." She says

"Get me to listen?! You dare marry that animal just to get me to listen to you?! You've disgraced the Luciano name, the name that I've worked so hard to build -"

"Through what, blood money?!" She screams.

Alastor watched as Esme spoke to her father on the phone, and just like that he felt his blood boil all over again. He had to restrain himself, he had to. For her sake.

I'm not an animal, I'm a person you ornery fuck.  

"And don't you ever speak about my husband like that again. He's a good man, he's taken care of me since I've got here, doesn't that mean anything to you?" She says desperately while playing with the cord on the phone. "He's worked hard to get to where he is. Just as hardworking as you." She says.

Her father pauses, "I doubt that."

"You would lose that bet then." Esme says. "Pop, please I - I'm happy. Can't you be happy for me?"

As the conversation continues, Alastor feels his heart sink at her word, hearing her desperately trying to get her father's approval, but her father still remains hard and cold. He wanted to just grab the phone and scream at her father for speaking to her in such a manner.