Chapter VI: Just right

After a hard day of training with Nezu, Y/n and Momo returned to their respective rooms, exhaustion weighing heavily on their shoulders. Y/n's room was a reflection of his chaotic lifestyle, with clothes strewn haphazardly across the floor and hero memorabilia cluttering every available surface. He hadn't been at UA long, but his room was already a mess. He barely had the energy to kick off his shoes before collapsing onto his bed, the soft mattress providing a welcome rest.

The next morning, Y/n awoke from a deep sleep, his body still craving more rest despite the new day beckoning. With a weary sigh, he rubbed his eyes and brushed his hand across his face, trying to shake off the remnants of sleep. Shuffling over to the wardrobe mirror, he ran his fingers through his dishevelled hair, trying to tame the morning's unruly curls with little success.

With a resigned shrug, Y/n grabbed the nearest items of clothing, paying little attention to what he chose. As he clumsily dressed, struggling to pull on his trousers with only one leg inside, his phone suddenly rang, breaking the silence of the room. Startled, Y/n jumped across the bed in a clumsy attempt to reach his phone before it stopped ringing. His pyjamas bunched up under his feet as he tripped over them, adding to the disorder in the room. With one last lunge, he managed to grab the phone from the bedside table. "Hello?" He said.

On the other end of the line, his father's stern voice crackled through the speaker. "Y/n," he said, his tone clipped and businesslike. "We need to talk." Y/n's heart sank at the words. He knew what was coming. It would probably be about his performance in training or his grades in class. No matter how hard he tried, it never seemed to be enough for his parents. "What is it, father?" he replied, trying to keep the frustration out of his voice.

His father wasted no time in getting to the point. "Your grades are slipping, Y/n," he said bluntly. "We didn't send you to Shiketsu to waste your time and squander your potential. I don't know why you're at UA now, but go back to Shiketsu and improve." Y/n clenched his jaw, his frustration bubbling to the surface. "I'm taking it seriously," he insisted, his voice rising slightly. "I'm doing the best I can." But his father wasn't having any of it. "Your best isn't good enough, Y/n," he said firmly. "We expect more from you. You have a responsibility to uphold the family name and to excel in everything you do."

Y/n's grip on the phone tightened as his father's words cut through him like a knife. "I'm doing the best I can," he replied, his voice shaking with anger. "But maybe if you actually cared about what I wanted for once, instead of constantly berating me, you'd see that." There was a moment of tense silence on the other end of the line before his father spoke again, his voice like ice. "Watch your tone, Y/n. You will not speak to me that way." "I'm tired of living my life according to your expectations, so fuck off," he snapped. With that he ended the call. He took a deep breath and tried to calm the storm of emotions raging inside him, every time his parents called it was the same, you are not enough, you have to live up to the family name, be better, be the best, he was done with all that. As he finished dressing, he made his way out of his room.

In the shared kitchen, Y/n prepared breakfast, burned toasts again. Lost in his own world, he didn't notice when someone touched his shoulder. Startled, he turned angrily, ready to lash out. "What?" he snapped, his tone harsher than he intended. Momo took a step back, surprise in her eyes at his sudden hostility. Y/n's anger faded as quickly as it had come, replaced by a wave of remorse. "I'm sorry," he said, his voice softer this time. "I didn't mean to snap at you." Momo nodded, her expression understanding. "It's okay," she said gently. "Is everything all right?"

Y/n hesitated, not wanting to burden Momo with his problems. "Yeah, just... family stuff," he murmured. "Sorry I didn't make you breakfast this morning. I woke up a bit later than usual." Momo gave him a small, teasing smile. "That's okay. I was kind of hoping you'd burn the toast again," she joked, trying to lighten the mood. "But honestly, I'd rather leave the delicatessen to you." Y/n's frustration flared up again. "If my breakfast is so terrible then perhaps you should just fucking make your own and leave me have mine." he snapped.