Chapter IX: Paralyzed Love

Y/n layed on the hospital bed, the sterile white sheets tucked neatly around him, his body still partially paralysed from Viper's quirk. The room was bathed in soft artificial light, casting a soft glow over the medical equipment surrounding him. The steady beep of the heart monitor filled the room. He could move his eyes and speak in hushed tones, but the rest of his body remained unresponsive, the effects of the poison lingering longer than he had expected. His limbs felt heavy, as if encased in lead, and he could do little more than move his head slightly on the pillow. The door to his room creaked open and Momo stepped inside, her expression a mixture of relief and concern. She had barely left his side since they arrived at the hospital, except to go to the bathroom. She moved to his bedside, pulled up a chair and sat down with a weary sigh.

"Hey," Y/n greeted her, his voice harsh but with a hint of his usual humour. "You look like you could use some rest." Momo smiled softly, her eyes betraying the exhaustion she felt. "I could say the same for you," she replied, her tone soft. "How do you feel?" "Like I've been run over by a truck," he replied. She left a small chuckle, but was also filled with concern. She was too shy to reach out and hold his hand, though she wanted to comfort him. "You were amazing out there," she said seriously. "We couldn't have done it without you." Y/n looked at her, his gaze filled with gratitude. "Were all the criminals caught?" he asked, his curiosity piqued. "Even Viper?" Momo nodded, her eyes bright with pride. "Yes, everyone was captured, including Viper. The police managed to grab her before she could escape."

"That's all thanks to your planning," Y/n said, admiration clear in his voice. "Otherwise I would have just rushed in and gotten myself killed." Momo shook her head. "No, it was because you were brave enough to put the tracking device on that thug and then fight Viper on your own. We wouldn't have won without your courage." Y/n's eyes softened as he looked at her. "We make a good team," he said quietly. "You know, I've wanted to tell you something the last few days, but I haven't been able to."

Momo's curiosity was aroused. "What is it?" she asked, leaning forward slightly. "Well, you know, in the beginning we were kind of the opposite, weren't we? I mean, we still are, but I feel like we just learned from each other. Nezu was right after all." Momo chuckled and nodded, "Yes, he's quite intelligent," but Y/n continued, "And, well, we've spent a lot of time together since then and..." Y/n began, his voice trailing off as he tried to find the right words. But before he could say more, the door to the room opened. A tall, bespectacled man in a suit with a serious expression walked in, followed by a woman in a blouse and skirt. The man stood behind the stretcher and greeted Momo.

"Hi," the man said curtly. Momo looked confused. "Sorry, who are you? I'm afraid no visitors are allowed here unless you're family." Y/n's eyes flicked to Momo and he said, "Yao-Momo, it's OK. They are my parents." Momo was surprised by the coldness that came from them. They entered the room with a business-like demeanour, rather than the concern one might expect from worried parents. They stood at the foot of the bed and looked at their son with a detached expression.

His mother spoke first. "How are you feeling, Y/n?" "I'm fine, but paralysed," he said, his voice carrying a hint of sarcasm to hide his frustration. His father frowned and adjusted his glasses. "This wouldn't have happened if you had stayed at Shiketsu and studied," he said, his tone stern.

Y/n's eyes flickered to his father's face, a spark of defiance in them. "This was decided by the principal of Shiketsu," he replied, his voice tinged with irritation. "And besides, how do you expect me to become a hero and not get hurt sometimes?" His father met his gaze, his expression unyielding. "Just be better," he said simply. Y/n felt a surge of anger, but suppressed it; after all, he could not leave the conversation and was stuck there. His mother, meanwhile, asked in a more composed tone, "When are you going back to Shiketsu?" "I don't know," Y/n said, his frustration seeping into his voice. "Probably when the programme ends."