S E V E N

Annie's heart thumped wildly in her chest as she sprinted through the gardens. Under her slippers, the grass crunched in the cold. She was thankful for her many dance lessons or she would definitely have tripped over all of the vines. And she was infinitely more thankful that her mother didn't get her a large ballgown for the evening, instead opting for the straight, flowing white dress.

A panicked voice sounded from behind her. The mystery boy sounded desperate when he spoke, crying out, "No, no, no. Mia topolina, no. Don't leave. I'm sorry for kissing you; I won't do it again. Just don't go. Please."

And that was the thing: Annie wasn't sorry for the kiss. The kiss was incredible, numbing her mind until all she could think about was him. His hands on her waist, his woodsy scent, his carefree smile. She couldn't imagine a better first kiss.

But it was so clear to her at that moment how natural it all seemed to him, like wooing a girl into kissing him was utterly effortless for him. James told her not to trust any guy. He said that they were liars and that they only wanted one thing. How was she supposed to trust that this boy was any different? She could trust her brother far more than some man she just met.

Fear. That was all that Annie felt. Fear that he would be just like the people her family warned her about, that he would charm her and take her. She was the daughter of the Dark Lord, the one skilled at many things except protecting herself. Her father never brought her along to meetings, her mother insisted on keeping her inside and away from harm, and her brother was essentially her personal bodyguard. "There are many people who would love to find my weakness. They got to your mother once. They aren't getting to you," her father once told her. She had been sheltered for almost twenty-one years because of people wanting to hurt Tom. What if this boy was one of them, using his charm and cunning to get alone? A kiss could have turned into far worse.

So Annie ran and ran, even after he called out to her. But when she turned back and saw the broken look on his face, something inside of her broke too. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

The last thing she heard before she appeared was, "NO!" But by then, she was already gone.

Annie gasped as she appeared in an empty hallway. "Annie?" Her brother's questioning voice asked. "Annie, are you alright?"

She struggled to catch her breath, clutching at her heart while almost falling to the ground. Her brother's strong hands caught her instantly. "Annie, what's wrong?" He asked frantically but it sounded so far away. All she could think about was deep blue eyes and a soft voice calling her mia topolina over and over into her ear.

"Lottie, I'm sorry. I don't think she's feeling well. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course, James. Feel better, Annalise," Charlotte's calm voice said. Annie felt herself mutter a thank you while she continued to clutch to James. He's here. You're okay. You're with James. No one is going to take you. But all she could think about was that boy.

"Hey, princess," James said, using that soft voice of his that made her feel like a wounded animal. He gently stroked her hair, pulling it out of of the updo until the now-loose curls flowed down her back. "You're safe. Nothing is going to happen to you. I'm here."

Like always, her brother seemed to know exactly what she needed. "I'm safe. I'm safe," she mumbled repeatedly.

"That's right, sweet girl. Let's get you to bed, yeah?"

"Yeah." 

He wrapped his arm around her and led her over to the ladies' wing where she would be staying. "Do you want to go home? I don't think Mum and Dad would mind. Actually, Dad would probably be overjoyed."