Chapter 3: Thank You, Katniss

Weeks turned into months. The nurses whispered about the young man who saw ghosts. The patients thought of him as the boy who talked to thin air. Some might call it schizophrenia. Peeta didn't care he knew they where wrong because he walked with Katniss, their conversations a lifeline, lasting hours upon hours.

One day, as Peeta returned to his room after his usual morning stroll, he saw on the TV a news broadcast about Katniss

"Today marks the 2nd year our beloved girl on fire, also known as Katniss Everdeen, was shot and killed during the rebellion, her fiancée Peeta Mallark is still recovering in the mental hospital, reports say he claims to see her still, and have conversations."

Peeta was in shock, his mouth wide open. How could she be dead? She was with him last night. Was she actually right all along? Was he actually waking alongside the dead?

Katniss appeared beside him

"Peeta," she said. "I was shot by a rebel during the rebellion, I died that day two years ago, to be exact,"

Peeta, in shock, replied, "But I thought-"

"Sometimes the truth hides behind illusions," a tear escaped her eye as she held Peeta's hand. "Don't worry, you'll see me soon. I love you," and with that, she faded away

Peeta still sat on his bed, his head in his face, She was gone, truly gone. He put all the pieces together, so that's when she was in the hospital, two years ago when she died, why wasn't I there with her? He thought to himself.

After days of laying in his bed drenched in tears, he finally managed to stand up and walk to the window of his bedroom, and he was rewarded. He saw a beautiful sunset it consist of the colors yellow, orange, red, and the slightest pinch of blue from the peeking skyline

"Now I know" he said to himself "The sky looks different when you have someone you love up there."

He smiled, tears streaming down his face. Katniss was right he couldn't hold onto her forever. So he stepped outside, breathed the crisp, cool air, and began to live. And sometimes, on those walks, he still felt her presence urging him forward.