Chapter 2: The Hire

Chapter 2

The Hire

Allison hated the drive from Grove Valley to Canyon Creek. Pine Lake lay between the two cities and Pine Lake cops loved giving tickets to Grove Valley residents; Pine Lake was a speed trap. Allison disliked going to Canyon County altogether, it was not as diverse race wise as Grove Valley and that in itself is always a minus for any city or suburb. Allison had made this trip a week ago to report her Sister Carrie Steinberg missing. Canyon Creek Police were not America's finest in any way shape or form. About a year or so ago a serial killer was on the loose there and the murderer ended up being a police detective. So now Allison decided to hire a private investigator. She had read in the newspapers about the serial killer and how a private investigator, a man named John Kirsh had solved the case. She was meeting him now.

Allison was unfamiliar with the Canyon Creek area; she only knew how to get to two places: her sister Carrie's apartment and Kennedy Park. She was going straight to the apartment; her sister had given her a spare key. The police had not even gone to the apartment yet, they said it was not a homicide yet, so the apartment was not a place of interest.

She had never seen John Kirsh before; his picture did not appear in the newspapers during the serial killer case. When Allison arrived at her sister's apartment, a tall, well-built Black man was standing in front of the building. Was that him? Allison parked her car and approached the man.

"Are you John Kirsh, the Private Investigator?" asked Allison.

"Yes I am, that means you are Allison Steinberg."

"Yes, it's nice to meet you, my sister's apartment is down this path; we can go inside and talk."

As Allison led the way John took notice of the area. He knew that most people who go missing know their kidnapper or kidnappers. John was scanning the area, watching to see who was looking out of their windows; no one was. Some kids were playing soccer on the grass, they paid no attention to them at all; curious.

John and Allison walked up a set of stairs to the second level apartments; Allison took out the spare key and opened the door. She motioned to the couch, she herself sat down in a chair nearby. John pulled out note pad and pen to take notes.

"I'm a bit nervous about all of this," said Allison.

"Don't be, most people never have to call a private investigator. Tell about your sister, where does she work?" asked John.

"She's a yoga instructor at Pink Lotus Yoga studio."

"How long has she worked there?" asked John.

"Only a couple of months."

"Oh, where did she work before that?"

"Moon Goddess Yoga Studio; she was there for a year and a half, two years maybe; then she quit."

"Why did she quit?"

"Carrie said she disagreed with the teaching methods there."

"I'm not familiar with yoga," said John. "What was it that she disagreed with?"

Allison looked down at the floor. John could tell that look, he had seen it before. He braced himself to hear something no one would ever believe. "It's okay, I've heard strange things before, take your time," reassured John.

"Carrie said she thought it was some kind of cult."

...and there it was.

"A cult, a religious cult," inquired John perplexed.