Chapter Seven - Bonds of the Fallen

Four years had passed since Kanae Kochou's tragic death, a period marked by relentless training, bloody battles, and the ever-looming presence of demons. The landscape of the Demon Slayer Corps had shifted, bringing forth a new generation of Hashira to replace those lost to the war against the darkness.

Shinobu Kochou had risen to the rank of Insect Hashira, her fierce determination and cunning intellect carving a path of excellence. Sanemi Shinazugawa, now the second strongest Hashira, had grown even more formidable, his drive to avenge Kanae fueling his every action. Giyu Tomioka remained the third strongest, though the fire in his heart had dimmed, his quest for vengeance overshadowed by an overwhelming sense of defeat.

Sanemi found solace in the company of Obanai Iguro, the Serpent Hashira. Their bond was forged in the crucible of battle, tempered by mutual respect and an unspoken understanding of each other's pain. The Hashira ranks had further expanded to include Muichiro Tokito, the youngest Mist Hashira; Mitsuri Kanroji, the Love Hashira and Obanai's girlfriend; Rengoku Kyojuro, the Flame Hashira and Uzui Tengen's closest friend; and Gyomei Himejima, the Stone Hashira and the strongest member of the Corps.

The original five Hashira—Gyomei, Sanemi, Giyu, Kanae, and Uzui—had evolved, their ranks now filled by Gyomei, Sanemi, Giyu, Obanai, Muichiro, Mitsuri, Rengoku, Tengen, and Shinobu. It was a time of change, of new alliances and lingering sorrows.

One crisp autumn day, Sanemi and Shinobu made their way to the Ubuyashiki estate. They walked in silence, the weight of their shared loss hanging heavily between them. As they approached the graveyard behind the mansion, the soft crunch of leaves underfoot was the only sound that broke the stillness.

They stood before Kanae's grave, the stone marker bearing her name etched with a grace that belied the violence of her end. Sanemi clenched his fists, his knuckles white with suppressed emotion.

"I can't believe it's been four years," Shinobu murmured, her voice barely audible. "It feels like just yesterday she was here with us, smiling and bringing light to our lives."

Sanemi's jaw tightened. "That demon... he took her from us. And I swear on her grave, I will find him and make him pay."

Shinobu placed a gentle hand on Sanemi's arm, her touch a reminder that he was not alone in his grief. "We will find him, Sanemi. Together. Kanae deserves justice, and we owe it to her to see this through."

They stood in silence for a moment, the memories of Kanae flooding their minds. Her laughter, her kindness, her unwavering spirit—it was all still so vivid, so painfully close.

"I miss her every day," Sanemi admitted, his voice rough with emotion. "I never got to tell her... how I felt."

Shinobu's eyes softened with understanding. "She knew, Sanemi. She always knew."

They turned to leave the graveyard, their hearts heavy but their resolve steeled. As they walked back towards the mansion, the crisp autumn air carrying the scent of fallen leaves, Sanemi spoke of their plan.

"Giyu's lost his fire," he said, his tone somber. "But we can't let that stop us. We've got to be the ones to carry this burden, to see it through to the end."

Shinobu nodded. "We've been gathering information. The demon that killed Kanae—he's no ordinary demon. His strength, his tactics... everything points to an Upper Moon."

Sanemi's eyes flashed with determination. "Then we'll train harder, get stronger. We won't stop until we've avenged her."