Chapter Fourteen - Shinobu's Resolve (Continued)

The air in Nakime's Infinity Castle was heavy with a suffocating tension, the walls pulsating with a sinister life of their own. Shinobu Kocho, the Insect Hashira, lay on the ground, her vision fading as the monstrous Doma absorbed her very being. Despite the excruciating pain, she managed to signal her disciple, Kanao Tsuyuri, who had just arrived, with a weak movement of her hand.

Kanao's eyes widened in horror, but before she could react, Doma's icy voice cut through the air. "Don't interfere when I'm in the middle of absorbing someone," he said, irritation creeping into his tone. With a final, grotesque motion, he devoured Shinobu's body until only her butterfly-shaped hairpiece remained on the ground.

Doma glanced at Kanao, a mocking smile playing on his lips. "I wonder what your master signaled to you," he mused aloud, watching her silent fury.

Kanao's mind raced, her grief transforming into a burning resolve. She had to save Shinobu, to avenge her. She attacked with a ferocity born of desperation, but Doma easily repelled her, his face turning serious as her insults pierced through his facade.

In a flash, Doma appeared behind Kanao, his fan poised to decapitate her. She dodged just in time, delivering a blow to his stomach that caused some of his organs to spill out. Unfazed, Doma sent ice lotuses her way, noting with amusement how her reaction speed had increased.

Kanao suppressed her rage, focusing on her breathing techniques. "Flower Breathing, Fifth Form: Peonies of Futility!" she cried, her blade a blur of deadly beauty. Doma dodged effortlessly, smiling as he countered with his Blood Demon Art: Barren Hanging Garden. Kanao barely managed to fend it off with Flower Breathing, Second Form: Honorable Shadow Plum.

Doma's eyes narrowed as he observed her. "You have sharp eyes, girl. Let's see how you fare without them." He swung his fans, aiming to blind her, but Kanao dodged, charging at him with Flower Breathing, Sixth Form: Whirling Peach. Her attack was nullified by his next Blood Demon Art: Freezing Clouds.

The demon unleashed a barrage of attacks: Lotus Vines and Cold White Princesses. Kanao evaded them by a hair's breadth, moving farther away. Doma laughed, taunting her. "You can't keep running if you want to cut off my head."

At lightning speed, Doma rushed at Kanao, snatching her blade and planting it in the ground a distance away. "Come and get it, if you want to survive," he challenged, sending his Scattering Lotuses at her.

At that moment, Inosuke broke through the ceiling, blocking Doma's attack with his Beast Breathing, Fifth Fang: Crazy Cutting. "Upper Rank Two!" he yelled, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "If I beat you, I'll become a Hashira!"

Inosuke noticed Kanao's injuries and grew concerned. "What happened? Shinobu will be mad if she finds out you're hurt." Doma's expression turned smug. "Shinobu is dead. I absorbed her."

Rage exploded within Inosuke. "I'll kill you for what you did to her!" He charged with Beast Breathing, Fourth Fang: Slice 'n' Dice, but Kanao shouted a warning not to breathe in Doma's cold air.

Doma tried to slice off Inosuke's head with his fan, but Inosuke flipped away, launching himself off the flat edge of the fan and landing next to Kanao. He handed her back her blade. "Don't let go of it again."

The battle intensified. Inosuke's speed and ferocity matched Doma's deadly precision. Doma laughed as Inosuke kicked him in the stomach, sending him skidding backwards. Inosuke dislocated his right arm to swing his sword at Doma's neck, but misjudged, slicing through Doma's eyes instead. Doma laughed at the unusual technique.

"You're a messed-up kid," Doma said, "but interesting." He snatched Inosuke's mask, revealing his face. "I remember you now."

Inosuke's eyes blazed with fury. "Give it back!" he yelled, launching another attack. Doma evaded, reminiscing about Inosuke's mother, Kotoha Hashibira. "I killed her," he said, "she was stupid and unfortunate."

Inosuke's rage reached a fever pitch. "I'll kill you for what you did to Kotoha and Shinobu!" He blew away Doma's Blood Demon Art: Freezing Clouds with Beast Breathing, Tenth Fang: Whirling Fangs, as Kanao prepared to strike from behind.

Doma swatted her away and moved to leave. "I don't have time to play," he said, creating clones of himself with Blood Demon Art: Crystalline Divine Child. The clones attacked Kanao and Inosuke, who fought back fiercely.

Suddenly, Doma's face began to melt. He dropped to the floor, one arm snapping off. His clones cracked and disintegrated. "What's happening?" he wondered aloud.

Kanao, informed of Shinobu's plan, told Inosuke, "It's the poison Shinobu had in her body. Aim for his neck to finish him off."

Doma, in a panic, summoned his Blood Demon Art: Rime - Water Lily Bodhisattva. The ice statue created an earthquake, sending Kanao and Inosuke into the air. Kanao noted its lack of precision, deciding to use Flower Breathing, Final Form: Equinoctial Vermilion Eye to break through.

The statue grabbed Inosuke, but he hurled his blades at Kanao's, giving it the strength needed to cut Doma's neck. They succeeded in beheading him, and Upper Rank Two began to disintegrate.

Doma's head fell to the floor. "How pathetic," he thought. "To lose to a poisoner like Shinobu." He considered trying to regenerate, but realized it was futile. In his final moments, he recalled his past as a human, his inability to feel any emotion, and accepted his end.