Chapter 3

During the next week, we did not get a single call or a legitimate customer. Some people would wander in with some crazy claim of seeing a ghost. Of course, we would always go to investigate but each time it would turn out to be a fluke or some nonparanormal problem like people forgetting to take their meds. We decided our best bet was to promote our business with a television commercial. It was a good idea in theory but it was pretty embarrassing.

I was sitting on the side of Janine's desk while Egon was setting up Janine's phone line and computer. We had a small TV sitting at a table nearby and our commercial came on.

Ray stepped forward to say his line."Are you troubled by strange noises in the middle of the night," he stepped back in line. Egon then stepped forward.

"Do you experience feelings of dread in your basement or attic," He stepped back. It was then Peter's turn.

"Have you or any of your family ever seen a spook, specter, or ghost," and like the other two, he too stepped back. Ray stepped up again.

"If the answer is yes, then don't wait another minute. Pick up your phone and call the professionals." We all then stepped closer to the screen and spoke in unison.

"Ghostbusters." Our business phone number then flashed on the screen in yellow. It was then cut to me standing alone.

"Our courteous and efficient staff is on call twenty-four hours a day to serve all your supernatural elimination needs." It was cut again to all of us standing together behind a wall. We all spoke in unison again.

"We're ready to believe you!" The TV then cut to the next commercial and I was still staring at the TV in bewilderment.

"That was seriously the dumbest thing I've ever done," I shook my head and turned to Janine who was also looking at the TV. Egon spoke from behind me.

"It wasn't that bad." I turned and gave him a look. He shrugged and I jumped off the desk and stood by him.

"I agree with Lizzie on this one, it was pretty bad," Janine said from behind me. I turned to Egon and pointed my finger at her. I laughed at the small smile on his face. We all turned to see Peter yelling up to the man putting up our sign.

"I'm going to go check out the sign," I said to Hanine and Egon as I walked outside. I walked over to stand next to Peter and gazed at the sign. We could hear weird sirens in the distance and looked to see a Cadillac pulling up to the firehouse. Ray stepped out of the vehicle and Peter and I walked over to him.

"Everybody can relax, I found the car. Needs some suspension work and shocks, and brakes, brake pads, linings, steering box, transmission, rear end," I stared at him in disbelief at the long and pricy list of fixes needed.

"How much," Peter asked him. I could tell he was also in disbelief.

"Only forty-eight hundred. Maybe new rings, also mufflers, a little wiring," I scoffed as he kept on adding to the list of repairs needed.

"And a paint job," I muttered. I started to walk back inside, over to Janine's desk, and Peter followed. I couldn't see Egon. I assume he went down into the basement or his office.

"Janine, any calls," Peter asked from behind me.

"No," she responded bluntly.

"Any messages," He asked.

"No," she again responded bluntly.

"Any customers?"

"No, Dr. Venkman," She sighed in annoyance. Also getting annoyed at Peter, I interject.

"Peter, will you leave her alone? If we got a call she would tell us. It's so simple even you could it so stop pestering her." He always ignores me when I make little digs at him. It frustrates me even more. It's most likely because he doesn't have a good response. He keeps his attention on Janine.