Chapter 5

(Third person POV)

After catching their first ghost, news about these so-called 'Ghostbusters' quickly spread from cover to cover, channel to channel.

"Morning, I'm Roger Grimsby. Today, the entire eastern seaboard is alive with talk of incidents of paranormal activity. Alleged ghost sightings and related supernatural occurrences have been reported across the entire tri-state area," News anchor Roger Grimbsy announced. No matter what channel citizens of New York watched, the Ghostbusters were all the rage.

It seemed that reporters all around New York had something to say about these supernatural crime fighters. "Well, everybody's heard ghost stories around the campfire. Heck, my grandma used to spin yarns about a spectral locomotive that would rocket past the farm where she grew up. But now, as if some unforeseen authority..."

With the newfound fame, the Ghostbusters were in high demand during all hours. Hearing the second-floor alarm of the Ghostbusters headquarters, Peter jogged out of the sleeping quarters while Egon got out of his bed, still in his pajamas heading straight to his nightstand. He grabbed his glasses, walked back out to the foot of his bed, turning around to put on his glasses. Ray and Egon marched out of the room behind Lizzie who had just emerged from her own room still clad in her pajamas.

Many popular newspapers featured several headlines all about the new sensation, Ghostbusters. The USA Today headline photo was a still of the four from their commercial titled "Ghost Fever Grips New York."

A New York Post paper featured a front-page story on the Ghostbusters catching a ghost in Chinatown. The title was "Ghost Cops Bust Chinatown Spook," and it had a photo of Ray, Peter, Lizzie, and Egon mid-grimace as they fired their throwers. A smaller photo on the right side of the Post was of Ray smiling and holding up a Trap in triumph.

Answering another call, Peter and Ray headed to the Ecto-1 outside the Tai Hong Lau Restaurant. A grateful man ran after them as they triumphantly exited the building, handing out two roast ducks. The two scientists turned around and Ray bowed in thanks then Peter as they accepted the ducks.

The second-floor alarm rang again. It was becoming constant. Ecto-1 made a right turn, past Umberto's Clam House. Ray walked up back to street level, a smoking trap in hand. "Stand aside, please!" He exclaimed as he ran past the citizens.

And once again answering yet another call, the Ecto-1 was at 5th Avenue & East 50th Street, passing by St. Patrick's Cathedral on the left and Saks Fifth Avenue on the right. A Times newspaper featured the Ghostbusters posing for a photo at 696 Madison. The title read, "Ghostbusters Supernatural Success Story."

Larry King, a popular radio personality, was in his studio in Washington D.C. talking about the ghost fever that has sparked the nation's interest in the paranormal. He had a lit cigarette in his right hand, and seemed rather excited to talk about the new famed Ghostbusters, "Hi, this is Larry King. The phone-in topic today: ghosts and ghostbusting. The controversy builds, more sightings are reported. Some maintain these professional paranormal eliminators in New York are the cause of it all."

The trend of the famed four friends responding to these paranormal sightings became an everyday event. Peter, Ray, Lizzie, and Egon jogged out of Rockefeller Center, with Peter wearing Ecto Goggles and holding a smoking Trap. Bystanding civilians looked at them in awe, thanking them once again for their work. The October 1984 Omni issue featured a Proton Pack on the cover. The title was "Quantum Leaps: Ghostbusters' Tools of the Trade."

Catching another phantom, Egon came out of 122 Mulberry Street with a smoking Trap. He was wearing the Ecto Goggles on the top of his head, yelling, "I got it! I got it!" up and down the street as he ran to the Ecto-1. A civilian walking up the sidewalk turned his head and looked at Egon. The newest issue of The Atlantic Monthly featured exaggerated cartoon versions of The Ghostbusters and argued if ghosts had rights. The text read, "The Politics of the Next Dimension Do Ghosts Have Civil Rights?"

Their quick rise to fame was becoming rather bust. The Ghostbusters exited the Sedgewick Hotel, civilians clearing a path as they walked to Ecto-1. Reporters asked them a flurry of questions. Ray stopped at the rear and held up the Trap, posing for a picture. The Ghostbusters, with their particle throwers drawn, jogged down Chinatown, chasing yet another ghost.

"Still making headlines all across the country, the Ghostbusters are at it again, this time at the fashionable dance club, The Rose," Casey Kasem, famed DJ and announcer, spoke about the group. "The boys and girl in beige slugged it out with a pretty pesky poltergeist, then stayed on to dance the night away with some of the witnesses of the disturbance. This is Casey Kasem. Now on with the countdown."

Another impromptu press conference outside the Sedgewick Hotel was occurring as reporters jotted down Peter's words. "Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No job is too big. No fee is too big."

Janine's phone was lit up almost constantly, "Is it just a mist, or does it have arms and legs?"

Joe Franklin was interviewing Ray in the WWOR-TV studio, "As they say on TV, I'm sure there's one big question on everybody's mind and I imagine you are the man to answer it. How is Elvis, and have you seen him lately?" Ray froze as he wasn't sure what to say, not exactly catching onto the joke Mr. Franklin was making.

The Vol. 13 No. 20 issue of Globe also featured a front-page photo of the Ghostbusters. The title was "Ghostbusters Super Diet!"

The Ecto-1 pulled up to the Firehouse as two fans were on the right side of Ecto-1. The woman opened the front passenger door, asking a ragged-looking Peter for his autograph as he got out. A man in a brown coat was on the left side snapping Polaroid photographs.

After months of hard work, The Ghostbusters were finally able to peacefully rest in their sleeping quarters, still in their flight suits. Ray dreamed of a beautiful ghost floating above him. As he dreamt, he began to thrash in his sleep. The other guys, presumably being visited by the same phantom, also thrashed around, waking Lizzie as Ray fell out of his real bed.

"Wake up! Wake up!" Lizzie yelled, waking up her male friends, who stared at her, startled, "What the hell is going on?" The three guys go red in the face and don't say anything, causing her to throw her hands into the air as she understood what happened, returning to her bedroom as she sighed.

A/N

I am so relieved to finally have this posted. Most of this chapter was written by my best friend @Your_Fav_S1mp . She is an incredible writer, obviously, so you should go check out her Julie And The Phantoms story! Hope you enjoyed it!