scarlet maroon

trigger warning: s.a

The next couple of months slipped by in a blur of Taylor sneaking in and out of Matty's place - or him sneaking into her hotel rooms. Laughter and sex and smoke and weed and parties and collarbone kisses.
The two of them were back in New York for the weekend. She'd survived tour this far - she'd managed to fake it. She was performing at MetLife tomorrow, and she was grateful for the break spent at home. But, with Matty on the scene, his constant messages and how he'd thrown himself headfirst into her life... she found herself beginning to heal from the heartbreak. It became easier to have faith in the fact that all of the hurt was leading back to him. To the guy she'd liked for all of these years. It had all come back to him.

The way he'd text her every moment of every day, making her feel like the most important person in the world. The way he'd mouthed words meant only for her at one of his own shows. He knew exactly where to kiss her to make her squirm, knew how she liked to be touched. Knew where to touch to make her ignore. He'd come to her show - and that meant everything. There'd always be texts waiting for her, and she found herself getting excited to read them. Particularly the little secrets they shared.

this one's about you, you know who you are. i love you.

She'd practically squealed when she'd seen it. The two of them had become inseparable. She was happy. But also, while he was helping her heal from her heartbreak... he was also bringing negative attention to her.
She didn't want to listen to the world going on about how terrible he was. She didn't want to hear that because he'd healed her. At least, he'd started to. She didn't want to let that go because then? She'd crumble. She'd have nothing left. Nothing left to fight for. She'd be entirely alone.
All she wanted was to get away from that loneliness and she'd sacrifice everything she had not to feel it.

She needed him, because right now, Matty Healy was the only thing keeping her together.
Besides, it wasn't like Travis had ever made an appearance at one of her shows. It had just been another empty promise - and she was fed up with those. She was fed up with guys telling her one thing and then it all fell through, it fell apart. She was fucking tired of lifeless promises. Lies.
Matty had promised her that he'd be there as often as he could, he'd told her that he loved being in the swing of things - and he'd proven that to be true. Because he'd done everything he'd ever promised.

But the rest of the world didn't know that he was the only thing getting her out of bed every day. The thought of seeing him, the thought of texting him. The thought of kissing him, of playing with his hair. At the moment, that was all she had.
If she let that go... she'd shatter into a million sparkles. Confetti and stardust would litter her apartment floor.
There'd be nothing left of her.
Taylor was sitting on the sofa, Matty lying beside her.

He'd been doing god knows what in the next room for the last half hour. He'd stumbled over to her, eyes red and hands shaking. Taylor had glanced at it but ignored what she saw.
"We've got to write a song together." Matty said out of the blue.
"I swear you've said that at least once a month every year I've known you." She laughed.
"I'm serious, babe. It's a fucking good idea. We've been talking about it for the best part of a decade now - why not?"
Taylor opened her mouth, but was interrupted by a knock on the door. She didn't like the noise, didn't like anyone bursting her little bubble.
"I'll be right back," Taylor said, moving to kiss his cheek. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her again, passionately.
"Don't go."
Taylor giggled against his lips. "I've got to go answer the door. It might be important."
"What's more important than us?" He whispered, biting her earlobe playfully. "Just let them knock and let's... have fun."
Taylor closed her eyes, but shook her head.
"We only just got out of bed," she told him. "I'm going to the door."
"Fine," he sighed, the word coming across a little sharper than usual. Taylor was caught by surprise- she hadn't heard his voice sounding like that before.
But the person knocked again, so she let it slide.