2 - Wrath

Chapter 2: Wrath

As the group pressed forward, Kyler's nerves tingled with an unshakable sense of dread. The devastation around them was overwhelming, the air thick with smoke and the scent of burning metal. Suddenly, through the haze, a silhouette emerged from the fires, taking shape as a figure stepped into view.

A woman stood amidst the carnage, her presence striking fear into Kyler's heart. She was otherworldly, her skin an unnatural shade of crimson, eyes glowing with malevolent fire. As she moved, flames seemed to dance around her, an aura of destruction personified.

"Oh my God," Katy whispered, her voice trembling. "What is she?"

The woman raised her hands, forming them into mock finger guns. At the tip of her index finger, a tiny fireball appeared, glowing ominously. She aimed at a group of soldiers who were approaching, their shouts of alarm cut off as she mimicked the recoil of a handgun. A massive explosion erupted, engulfing the soldiers in a deadly conflagration.

Alyssa's voice was barely a whisper. "Combustion. She can cause explosions with just a thought. We need to get out of here."

The group, petrified, began to retreat into the forest. But as they moved, a branch snapped under Kyler's foot. The sound seemed to echo louder than any explosion. The demon woman turned her head sharply in their direction, her fiery gaze locking onto them.

She aimed her finger gun at them. "Run!" Markus shouted.

The explosion sent them flying several feet forward, crashing to the ground in a painful heap. Dazed, Kyler struggled to his feet, pulling Katy up alongside him.

"We need a decoy," Katy gasped, her voice strained with fear and pain. Without hesitation, she created a clone of herself. The duplicate nodded, understanding its role, and sprinted in the opposite direction.

The demon woman, deceived by the clone, fired another explosive blast. Kyler watched in horror as the clone was obliterated, the explosion so powerful it left a smoking crater.

"Go, go!" Markus urged, dragging Alyssa along as they broke into a desperate run.

They sprinted through the forest, branches whipping against their faces and the ground uneven beneath their feet. After what felt like an eternity, they finally found a shaded spot, collapsing to catch their breath. The air was thick with tension and the lingering scent of smoke.

Alyssa winced, clutching her ankle. "I think I sprained it when I landed," she said, her voice tight with pain.

Marcus's face was a mask of fury. "We should have retreated the moment we spotted the helicopters. This was reckless."

Kyler shot back, his voice rising. "We needed to see what's happening. We can't just hide and hope for the best. Knowing what we're up against helps us prepare."

Their argument was cut short by another explosion, but this one sounded different. Just before the blast, a sharp, tearing noise cut through the air, followed by a concussive wave that nearly knocked them off their feet.

"A missile strike," Marcus muttered, eyes wide with realization. "This place is becoming a full-on war zone."

The hot, strong winds from the blast swept over them, adding to Alyssa's agony. They huddled together, bracing against the onslaught.

Minutes later, the unmistakable thrum of helicopter rotors filled the air. Kyler looked up to see a helicopter branded with the British military logo descending nearby. The pilot, a rugged man in his thirties, approached them, his expression urgent but calm.

"This area is a war zone," he said, shouting over the noise of the rotors. "You need to be evacuated. We can treat your sister's injury. Come with us."

Marcus looked at Kyler, then nodded reluctantly. "Alright. Let's go."

They followed the pilot to the helicopter, where two other crew members helped them aboard. The interior was cramped, but it was a relief to be off the ground and away from immediate danger.

As the helicopter lifted off, the pilot turned to them. "I'm Captain Reynolds. We'll get you to safety and get your sister treated. Just hold on."

Kyler nodded, grateful for the intervention but wary of what lay ahead. The helicopter rose higher, the landscape of destruction below growing smaller. They were safe for now, but the world around them was more dangerous than ever.

As they flew toward an uncertain future, Kyler couldn't shake the image of the demon woman from his mind. Her power was beyond anything he had ever imagined, and the threat she posed was a stark reminder of the perilous world they now lived in.