4 - Assurance

Chapter 4: Assurance

The helicopter descended, its rotors whipping up a cloud of dust and debris as it settled onto a helipad. Kyler peered out the window, his eyes widening as he took in the sight of a massive facility built into the side of a mountain. The structure was imposing yet intriguing, a blend of high-tech architecture and rugged natural rock.

As the rotors slowed to a halt, the pilot turned to face them. "Welcome to one of many new haven facilities," he said. "This is where we do experimentation on wonderkids like you lot, assuming you are ones."

Kyler, Katy, Alyssa, and Marcus exchanged uneasy glances. The term "experimentation" sent a shiver down Kyler’s spine, recalling the stories of GPA’s cruel tests. His mind flashed back to a friend of his, who had been abducted by the GPA a couple months ago. Liam had been spirited away in the dead of night, and no one had seen him since. The fear and uncertainty of that memory still haunted Kyler.

Sensing their tension, the pilot added quickly, "It’s nothing like the GPA's methods, I assure you. We’re here to help you unlock your full potential."

The reassurance did little to ease their nerves, but they had little choice. The group disembarked, following the pilot into the facility. The interior was a stark contrast to the rugged exterior—a blend of modern technology and comfortable living spaces. They were led to a spacious lobby within the living quarters, a place designed to offer some semblance of normalcy amid the chaos.

Marcus and Alyssa immediately began asking questions. "What exactly do you do here?" Marcus inquired, his eyes narrowing with suspicion.

"How can we be sure it’s safe?" Alyssa added, her sharp mind already calculating risks and benefits.

The pilot smiled patiently. "We focus on safe, ethical research to understand and enhance your abilities. It’s all voluntary. No one is forced into anything."

He gestured to a seating area. "Someone will be along shortly to assign you rooms. In the meantime, make yourselves at home."

True to his word, a middle-aged woman approached them a few minutes later. She had a warm, reassuring presence that immediately put them somewhat at ease. "Hello there," she greeted. "I’m Dr. Evelyn Hart. I’ll just need a few details before we get you settled."

She asked them a few standard questions—names, ages, abilities—and then assigned two rooms. "Kyler and Katy in one, and Marcus and Alyssa in the other," she said, handing them keycards. "The cafeteria is down the hall to the left if you’re hungry."

Kyler decided to explore the facility, eager to understand more about their new surroundings. As he wandered the halls, he bumped into a guy around his age. He had short black hair and brown eyes, exuding a friendly, approachable vibe.

"Hola, new guy," the boy said, extending a hand. "I’m Rayan, and I can fly. What’s your gift?"

Kyler shook his hand, noting the Spanish accent. "Nice to meet you, Rayan. I’m Kyler. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure what my gift is yet."

Rayan nodded, understanding in his eyes. "No worries. A lot of us took time to figure out our abilities. Want a tour?"

"Sure, that’d be great," Kyler replied, grateful for the company.

As they walked, Rayan explained the layout of the facility. "This place is pretty huge. We’ve got training areas, labs, living quarters, and even a rec room. the tests here are nothing like the GPA's. They’re all about helping us get stronger, safer."

Kyler listened intently, taking in the information. "It sounds… almost too good to be true."

Rayan chuckled. "I know what you mean. But it’s legit. I’ve been here for a few weeks now, and it’s been nothing but positive. They really want to help."

After the tour, Kyler thanked Rayan and returned to the room he shared with Katy. She was already settling in, unpacking a few personal items to make the space feel more like home.

"Remember when we used to share a room as kids?" she said, smiling nostalgically. "It feels like ages ago."

Kyler nodded, a soft smile tugging at his lips. "Yeah. Those were simpler times. Looks like we’re back to sharing again."

They talked for a while, reminiscing about their childhood and the bond they shared. Eventually, Katy drifted off to sleep, but Kyler found himself restless. He stepped out onto the balcony, gazing at the valley under the midnight sky. The stars were scattered like diamonds, a stark reminder of the vast world beyond their current situation.

The tranquillity of the moment provided a brief respite from the chaos of their lives. Kyler took a deep breath, allowing himself a rare moment of peace. Despite the uncertainty of their future, they were together, and for now, that was enough.

As the cool night air brushed against his skin, Kyler’s thoughts drifted back to the events that had brought them here. He knew that the road ahead would be challenging, but he was determined to face it head-on, for the sake of his family and the world they had yet to rebuild.