Before the Waters

By Lauren Landry

Chapter 1

according to the biblical narrative, after Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden, they began to have children, and their descendants multiplied over time. The Book of Genesis provides a genealogical record tracing the lineage from Adam to various figures, including Noah, who lived several generations later.

The early chapters of Genesis describe how humanity grew and spread across the earth. Despite God's warning and the consequences of the Fall, humans continued to multiply and populate the earth. However, as the population increased, so did wickedness and corruption, leading to the eventual judgment of the Great Flood during Noah's time.

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows over the ancient world, a land teeming with life and vibrant with the hum of countless creatures. Yet, unseen by mortal eyes, celestial beings watched from the heavens, their gaze fixed upon the earth. These were the Watchers; angels sent to observe and guide mankind. But as the ages passed, their curiosity turned to desire, and their purpose became clouded by longing.

It began one serene evening, as the stars shimmered above like scattered diamonds. The Watchers descended, their forms ethereal and magnificent, cloaked in light. They moved among the animals, whose instincts sensed the unnatural presence, causing the creatures to react with unease. Birds took flight, and the great beasts of the field turned their heads in silent acknowledgment of the divine visitors. The leader of the Watchers, Samyaza, stood tall and resolute, his eyes reflecting a myriad of stars. Beside him were his brethren, Azazel, Arakiba, and others, their faces marked by a mixture of reverence and forbidden desire. They had witnessed the beauty of human women and could no longer restrain their yearning.

"Look," Samyaza said, his voice a blend of thunder and whispers, "the daughters of men are fair. Let us take them as wives and bear offspring, for we are mighty, and our seed shall be great upon the earth." His words, though filled with conviction, were met with hesitation. The other Watchers exchanged glances, their divine nature battling with their growing lust. Finally, Azazel, known for his persuasive tongue, spoke up. "Why should we be denied the pleasures of flesh? Are we not also children of the Creator, deserving of love and lineage?"

With a collective nod, they agreed to their leader's proposal, and thus, the Watchers set their plan into motion. They descended further, becoming visible to the eyes of men and women. The sight of these celestial beings struck awe and fear into the hearts of humans, who could only bow in reverence and submission.

In the valleys and forests, the Watchers sought out the most beautiful of women, their presence intoxicating and irresistible. They captured these women, taking them from their homes and loved ones, binding them with promises of power and protection. The women, entranced by the angels' otherworldly allure, succumbed to their captors. The union of angels and humans was unlike any seen before. The Watchers, with their supernatural essence, imbued their offspring with strength and size beyond that of ordinary men. These children, known as the Nephilim, grew rapidly, towering giants who roamed the earth with unchallenged might.

The Nephilim were both a wonder and a terror. They possessed the wisdom of their angelic fathers and the vigor of their human mothers. Villages and tribes bowed before them, and their names became legends whispered in fear and awe. But with their power came a darkness, a cruelty inherited from the transgression of their sires. Azazel, in particular, reveled in his progeny's deeds. He taught them the secrets of warfare, the crafting of weapons, and the use of enchantments. Under his guidance, the Nephilim became conquerors, their insatiable appetites leading to destruction and despair. They hunted the great beasts, not for sustenance, but for sport, and enslaved men to build their monuments and fortresses.