one

"Evans!"

Rosemary jumped in her skin, her papers rustling under her hands, "Yes! What is it Mr. Wilks?"

He was always dropping in randomly and shouting last names like it was natural and sometimes she felt like she shouldn't ever get comfortable because Wilks would come barging in and scare the crap out of her.

"Is that report ready yet? The rest of our current material is a bit dry and I need you to bring me that hard hitter today."

Of course the rest of the material was 'a bit dry' nothing particularly interesting was happening anywhere, it wasn't like she could do anything about it though.

She searched the papers on her desk momentarily before coming across the specific story he had wanted, "Finished and ready to air sir! I've also got that weird incident from Wales on standby if you think we need another story that's not quite usual."

Wilks clapped his hands together in approval, "That's what I like to hear! Run them both at noon when everyone is on lunch break. Oh, and when you get out tonight, catch up on whatever you've got to finish and any leads you can find, John's been slacking recently and we can't have that."

She fought the urge to roll her eyes, John was always slacking and she always had to pick things up because of it. Was it really that hard for him to do his job? It's broadcasting of all things, at least he wasn't stuck in a factory like most of the country. You think he would keep up just for that, but no, he was just a lazy prick.

Rosemary nodded and began prepping for on air despite her inner irritation, "Yes sir."

The station was buzzing with news from every area that one could imagine, Mr. Wilks was a perfectionist however and if things weren't done right, well, let's just say that your day didn't end well. Fortunately for Rosemary, she was great at her job and Wilks hardly, if ever, had a problem with her.

She did her best to keep things that way knowing that any slip up could easily cost her the job that she had worked so hard to get.

By the time she'd run through the current stories, Rosemary was exhausted and craved the soft sheets that awaited her at home. Sure, she didn't do much at work other than write and speak on the air but she was there from the early hours of the morning to the late hours of night. Rosemary made sure to wave to the few friends she had on her way out and to practically ignore everyone else because everyone else was typically rude to her.

It wasn't because they didn't like her per-say, but rather because she was a woman and most of them were men and still didn't like the idea of a woman working instead of staying at home and doing housework or taking care of children.

She found it best to just ignore it and continue on with her life, arguing with them was like adding fuel to a fire and helped no one.

The routine was always the same, collect and effectively tell the news, air said news at various times, and then go home to get some sleep before starting all over again the next day. Something that sounded boring to most people was actually high up in her interests.

Rosemary loved her job, she only found the routine to be a bit tiresome because it seemed like she was the only one that cared sometimes and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a bit more time off; her hours were absolutely horrendous.

With the way things were now, she hadn't had many friends left or very good sleeping habits. Loneliness was real as was exhaustion and she wasn't too keen on having to experience either.

Rosemary had been trapped in thought and it wasn't long before she walked straight into someone. The impact wasn't too bad, however, it did cause the person she'd walked into to drop nearly all of the things he'd been carrying.