Shadows of trust

Billie's POV:

We walked in silence. For a moment my senses sharpened. "You're scared, aren't you?" I asked her ironicly, squeezing her hand, as I heard her fast heartbeat, blood pulsing in her veins. "N-no, I'm not." I just sadly smiled on her answer. I knew that sooner or later I'll have to tell her everything and it was killing me. I was almost sure that she's gonna think I'm crazy or just run away, living me all alone for god knows how long.

"You know, I don't have many guests here, sometimes it feels... lonely." I sighed. "You live here alone?" She asked. "Yeah, I mean... My brother Finneas lives here too but he left, for now at least." "Is he coming back soon?" I found it really sweet that she cared so much about my life. "I hope so." I replayed, the waight of my words lingering in the cool air. "It's been a while since I've seen him. Sometimes he's acting like total dumbass, but I miss him so much."

Her beautiful meadow green eyes softened and she squeezed my hand in return. "Well, I guess you have me now." She said with a small, reassuring smile.

I felt a warmth spread through me, a rare comfort in her presence. "I'm glad that you trusted me, even a little. It means more than you know." I confessed.

The moon hung high in the sky, casting a silvery glow over the forest as we walked hand in hand. My torch giving us warm light, helping me guideing us home.
Leaves rustled softly in the breeze almost crating a melody.

"Do you come there often? You know, sit by the fire." Rachel asked, her voice murmur against the symphony of the night. "Sometimes" I replayed my senses on high alert despite my calm demeanor. "I like the atmosphere of it. It reminds me of when I was a kid and with my family I was sitting by the fire. Playing with my brother, climbing trees..." She nodded, her eyes scanning the shadowed trees surrounding us. "I would say it's a bit spooky and creepy place, but also beautiful and peacefull, just like you Billie."

I smiled but my hightened senses caught a disturbance in the quiet. The faint rustle of leaves that didn't match the breeze, the scent of something feral on the wind. My grip on her hand tightened slightly. The path through the forest became more twisted. Suddenly I heard a low growl and right after howling, which was loud enough for Rachel to hear it too.

I felt her stiffen beside me. "Stay behind me, darling." I said, stepping in front of her, still holding hands. Shadow emerged from the underbrush. Then I saw a pair of glowing eyes. "Fuck, I don't wanna die." She whined quietly behind me. "You're not gonna die, trust me, please." I whispered, slowly approaching the wolf now standing few feets in front of us. "Hi." I kneeled in front of him and stroked him.

He wasn't agressive towards me, just like the rest of wild animals. Then he looked at Rachel, standing behind me and growled at her. "Don't hurt her, she's... a friend. Go and tell you're company to not hurt my friend, okay?" I said slightly above the whisper. The wolf howled in response. "Good boy." I patted him again and he run away, disapearing in the bushes.

I got up, turned around and immediately felt arms wrapping around my back. The hug started a bit akwardly. I was unsure of how much to give and take, but as seconds passed we both relaxed into each other's warmth. She nestled her head on my shoulder, I closed my eyes as I felt her steady, but strong heartbeat. In that embrace, my solitude and her fear seemed to dissolve, leaving only the present moment, mutual understanding and growing affection. As we held each other, the forest around us faded into a background, the only reality being the silent promise that neither had to be alone anymore.

We knew each other only few hours, but it felt more like ages. I couldn't read her mind but I felt strong emotions crowling in her and need of having someone who cares for her. Maybe life has left a wound in her heart and mind that needs to to heal. I had a silent hope that I'll be able to understand her and maybe she will understand me like no one ever did.

"You good?" I asked with worried voice. "Except the fact that life flashed before my eyes, I guess I'm okay." She chuckled sniffing a bit. "It's safe now, they won't hurt you." I whispered next to her ear. "H-how is that all even possibile..., how..., what-" "Not now Rachel, please." I cut off the rest of her question.

"We should keep going, we're almost there." I said slowly pulling away. She smirked grabbing my hand again, this time her look full of trust instead of panic and fear.