The Cost of Duty

A few weeks later, Shubman was having a busy day at his office, immersed in meetings and business deals. Despite his packed schedule, he couldn't stop thinking about Ishan. Their time together had been a whirlwind of emotions, and Shubman had grown deeply fond of the grumpy agent.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sudden buzz of his phone. It was a message from Ishan, asking him to meet at their usual spot in the park later that evening.

Shubman arrived at the park just as the sun was setting, casting a golden hue over the city. He spotted Ishan sitting on a bench, his expression more serious than usual. Shubman's heart skipped a beat; he could sense something was wrong.

"Hey, Ishan" Shubman greeted, trying to lighten the mood as he sat down beside Ishan. "What's up?"

Ishan looked at him, his eyes filled with a mixture of resolve and concern. "Shubman, I have to leave. There's a mission I need to go on. It's urgent and... dangerous."

Shubman's smile faltered. "How dangerous?"

"Very," Ishan replied, his tone grave. "It's a high-risk operation, and there's a chance I might not make it back."

Shubman felt a lump form in his throat. "Ishan, you can't just leave like this. What if something happens to you?"

"I have to go, Shubman," Ishan said firmly. "It's my duty."

Shubman's eyes filled with worry. "But what about us? What about what we're building here?"

"I know," Ishan said softly. "But this is something I have to do. It's part of who I am."

Shubman shook his head, his voice trembling. "I can't lose you, Ishan. I... I care about you too much."

Ishan reached out, taking Shubman's hand in his. "I care about you too, Sunshine. More than you know. But I have to do this. I need you to understand that."

Shubman's eyes welled up with tears. "Ishan, promise me you'll come back. Promise me you'll be safe."

Ishan squeezed Shubman's hand gently. "I'll do everything I can to come back to you. I promise."

Shubman nodded, his heart heavy. "You better keep that promise, Mister Serious. Because I'll be waiting here, and you better not keep me waiting for too long."

Ishan managed a small smile. "I wouldn't dream of it, Sunshine."

They sat in silence for a moment, the weight of the situation hanging over them. Finally, Shubman spoke again, his voice barely above a whisper. "When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning," Ishan replied. "I have to get everything in order tonight."

Shubman took a deep breath, trying to steady his emotions. "Then let's make the most of tonight. Come on, let's go somewhere special."

They spent the evening walking through the city, visiting their favorite spots and creating memories that Shubman hoped would carry him through the anxious days ahead.

They talked, laughed, and shared stories, trying to ignore the looming departure.

As the night drew to a close, they returned to Shubman's penthouse. The city lights twinkled outside the windows, casting a soft glow in the room.

Shubman poured them each a glass of wine, and they sat on the couch, holding each other close.

"Ishan," Shubman said quietly, his head resting on Ishan's shoulder. "Promise me one more thing."

"Anything, Sunshine," Ishan replied, his voice gentle.

"Promise me that no matter what happens, you'll always think of me," Shubman whispered. "Even if things get tough out there."

"I promise," Ishan said, kissing the top of Shubman's head. "You'll be the reason I fight to come back. Always."

They spent the rest of the night wrapped in each other's arms, savoring every moment. As the first light of dawn began to break, they knew it was time to say goodbye. Shubman walked Ishan to the door, his heart aching with the impending separation.

"Take care, Ishan," Shubman said, his voice choked with emotion. "Come back to me."

"I will, Sunshine," Ishan replied, his eyes filled with determination. "I will."

With one last, lingering kiss, Ishan turned and left, disappearing into the early morning mist. Shubman stood by the door, watching him go, his heart heavy with worry but also filled with hope. As the door closed, Shubman whispered to himself, "Be safe, my love. I'll be waiting."