Hypnotic

Warnings: angst, feeling depressed and not being able to express how you feel

Summary: There is a reason why you don't go out in public--it's your fear of Hydra that has you paralyzed. Tony tries to help you by putting you in a simulation to give you the courage you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You tried your hardest to stay out of the public's eye in fear Zemo and his soldiers would find you, and yet, they managed to do so without even trying. The first moment of courage you get to actually go outside and socialize turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes you could have made. It's clear Zemo will not stop until he has you back in his grasp, and he will send thousands of soldiers to you in order to achieve that.

You killed all of his men and left a threatening note behind for him to see, but he hasn't made himself known to you yet. Not like he could, you haven't left the tower since that fateful night. You're so paralyzed with fear that even the thought of stepping one foot outside of this compound is enough to send your body into shock.

This is never what you wanted for yourself. You never wanted to be so afraid to live your life that you're willing to sit by and watch it pass you. What else can you do to the man who can tear you down and turn you into something you were never supposed to be?

Steve has noticed a change in you since he brought you home, and he hates to admit it, but it's his fault you're like this. He was the one who suggested taking you outside for a walk, and now you're a shell of who you used to be. He has to walk on eggshells around you in fear that if he says or does the wrong thing, he'll break you.

Since getting back, you haven't talked to him or anyone else. You've been trapped inside your own mind, scared to even come out just for a little bit. You've gotten like this in the past, even before you joined the Avengers. The only thing that will help you is music to help you drown out the thoughts in your head.

It's the middle of the night, which is when you prefer to be awake. No one expects anything of you, you're not needed by anyone, and you can be in your own little world without hurting anyone. You've made yourself a playlist of the songs and instrumentals that will put you in a trance-like state, and if you're going to be up, then may as well get some clothing requests done.

Some of the other avengers want certain things done to their uniforms, and you're more than happy to comply with their requests.

You get out of bed and grab your headphones before quietly exiting your room. Steve's room is right next door, and he loves sleeping with his door open. You poke your head in to see him peacefully sleeping. You feel bad for the way you've been treating him, but it's like you can't help that part of yourself. He tries so hard to comfort and help you, but you seem to keep pushing him away.

You hate feeling this way and wished you could wake up from this nightmare.

You leave his room and head to the sewing room that is at the other end of the hall. There are finished projects on the right side of the room, unfinished ones on the left, and a bunch of fabric right in the middle. You can finish your incomplete projects later. Right now, you want to work on something brand new.

You slip your headphones on and pull up your playlist, eager to get started. Once you start, it's like you can't stop. Minutes turn into hours, and before you know it, most of the night has already gone by. You've made three dresses and are now working on a third when Steve wakes up.

He uses the restroom across the hall, but instead of going back to his room, he goes over to yours. He peers inside only to see your bed empty like it has been for the past six hours. He frowns and is about to go searching for you when he hears the sewing machine from down the hall.