Chapter 549: Devouring the Jiao

Han Li squinted his eyes, taking in the scene not far away.

Under the assault of the Gold Devouring Beetles, the scales of the Poison Jiao finally began to crumble. However, as its body was torn apart, countless jets of blood sprayed out, turning many of the beetles into pools of venomous liquid. Before long, there were only a few beetles left on the Poison Jiao's severely wounded body.

At this point, the Poison Jiao was covered in injuries, with green blood oozing from all over its body. It glared at Han Li with utter hatred.

Han Li felt a chill in his heart; the reputation of the Poison Jiao was well-deserved.

Although the Gold Devouring Beetles had evolved to the point where ordinary magical treasures couldn't harm them, they were easily destroyed by the poisonous blood. This demonstrated the potency of the poison.

However, a cold smile soon appeared on Han Li's face.

What the Poison Jiao didn't know was that he had more than just these few beetles. Even if he had to sacrifice most of them, he intended to take down as many of the three demons as possible.

Thinking of this, he quickly glanced at the other side, where the turtle demon was completely covered by the swarm of beetles.

The sound of chewing, a constant "shusha" noise, had not stopped, but the pile of beetles remained motionless.

If not for the faint demonic aura and the high, bulging shape, he would have thought that the demon was already dead.

Despite his doubts, Han Li couldn't afford to think too much. With a grim look, he raised his hands and released several more spirit beast pouches.

Immediately, the buzzing of wings filled the entire chamber, as over a hundred thousand tri-colored Gold Devouring Beetles filled the air, covering the ceiling.

Seeing such a large number of beetles, the Poison Jiao's face first changed, then showed a look of despair.

Feng Xi, who was surrounded by white light, also turned pale with a look of horror.

It was well known that swarming spirit insects, compared to ordinary spirit beasts, had a shorter reproduction cycle and produced many offspring at once. However, it still took a century or more to raise a swarm. After recognizing their master and hatching, they needed decades of training before they could be used. The higher the grade and the more powerful the spirit insects, the longer the time required.

Therefore, in the world of cultivation, although many knew about insect control techniques, few were famous for them in the Chaos Star Sea. It was especially rare to hear of such techniques being used by those who had reached the Core Formation stage.

Most insect-controlling cultivators considered themselves fortunate to have over a thousand spirit insects in their lifetime. Even so, this often required the passing of insects from master to disciple across generations to amass such numbers.

Additionally, spirit insects were much more fragile than other spirit beasts. It was common for all the spirit insects to be wiped out in a single battle. This was another reason why few cultivators pursued insect control techniques despite their known power.

Both Feng Xi and the Poison Jiao had already witnessed the power of Han Li's Gold Devouring Beetles. Even as eighth and ninth level demon beasts, they found them terrifying. Seeing Han Li release so many now, it was hard for them to believe.

Of course, they didn't know that these Gold Devouring Beetles had not yet fully matured, otherwise they would have been even more horrified.

Ignoring the look of rage and hatred in the Poison Jiao's eyes, Han Li directed the swarm with a thought. The buzzing beetles formed several streams, swarming down on the Poison Jiao.