Port of Bhasa

The air was thick with the scent of a unique blend of sweet floral notes and subtle earthy undertones, reminiscent of damp soil or freshly cut grass while still seeping with saltiness. We had finally arrived at the port of Bhasa, the ocean still dark purple as it had always been. Just like the gold parasitic grass that dominates the lands, the algae Purpura Oceania has claimed the sea since the beginning of documented history, keeping the waters in its purple hues with its way of living.

The port was bustling with activity, but only on the other piers. We were a pier of our own, consisting of the 4 of us, the crew that came along, and the ship crew. With sounds of heavy metals and spoken instructions, we were unloading and loading from the truck and onto the ship.

The crates were heavy, but with each trip the work seemed to significantly decreases which is encouraging to know. With each trip I also passed the others, allowing me to see how they are doing. Void moved with a quiet efficiency, able to carry multiple crates at once with a dexterous ease, though he struggled with the heavier loads. Kath, ever the optimist, kept the mood light with her chatter, seeming to not notice the urgency in our task.

Ash was silent and focused, avoiding my gaze as she worked with every return trip I made. The incident still hung between us, an unspoken barrier that made every interaction... uncomfortable. She moved with precision, her muscles straining under the weight of the crates, but she never complained. The crew members, a motley assortment of seasoned hands and fresh faces, fell into a rhythm. Together, we hoisted the cargo onto the ship, with it slightly sinking as more weight was put onto it. The ship loomed above us, a sturdy vessel designed for journeys through treacherous waters. Its hull gleamed in the daylight, ignoring the black paint on the hull.

Those weren't the only things that I noticed while labouring, as nearby was an agent who had been with us from the start dealing with the documents and customs. He moved with the confidence of someone who had navigated these bureaucratic waters many times before. However, there were no papers being signed, stamps being pressed, nor was there ever screenings for the things that are loaded onto the ship.

It seemed as though the agent spoke a few words, and the other party simply nodded, before turning their backs to this operation.

.

.

.

With everything loaded up, crates were stacked and secured, ropes were tied, and final checks were made. The ship's deck was a flurry of activity, everyone intent on ensuring that the cargo was safely loaded. The sun had passed the peak and began its descent, casting long shadows across the docks.

A loud honk from the ship's horn echoed through the port, signaling that it was time to depart. The ground beneath us vibrated as the engines roared to life, a deep, resonant sound that seemed to shake the very air. The ship began to move, pulling away from the dock with a graceful yet powerful lurch.

After the exerting amount of work we contributed, it was finally time for a breather as we rest on the ship's deck. Leaning against the port side's safety rails, I took a moment to observe the vessel we were now aboard. Seeing that it was a relatively small delivery operation compared to the usual commercial sized ones, we were given a small cargo ship with its name plastered on the bow, 'Europa Voyager'.

Despite its designation as 'small,' it was still a massive presence, easily dwarfing many land vessels. Its sleek, streamlined hull was designed for speed, cutting through the water with an efficiency that set it apart from the lumbering giants around it. The ship was painted in black, most likely to absorb light and keep hidden from any potential pirates. The Europa Voyager was equipped with advanced propulsion systems that allowed it to move faster than any standard cargo ship.

As the ship picked up speed, the purple waters of the ocean parted around its bow, creating a mesmerizing wake that shimmered in the sunlight. The smell of the Purpura Oceania algae filled the air.

𝑍̥̊⃝𝐵̥̊⃝𝑂̥̊⃝𝐹̥̊⃝ 𝑍̥̊⃝𝑌̥̊⃝

My eyes shoot open, not knowing a blink could feel like hours. Turning around to face the deck, I had just realised that I was the only one left there. It doesn't much to figure out where they had gone, the entrance to the superstructure being wide open when it was closed previously.

Stepping into the bustling superstructure of the Europa Voyager, the smell of cooked meal hits me in the face. The crew seem to be enjoying breakfast, which made no sense to me as we had already past noon earlier. Peering my head back outside, the sun seemingly had gone backwards, and the clock on the wall had proven me wrong as well. Had I accidentally imagine, or possibly dreamed of time passing faster than it actually was?

Forced to ignore the peculiarities,  I made my way to the galley, where the usual bland choices were given. Filling the plate with just enough to keep me going, I joined three others that I had already acquainted with. Ash, Void, and Kath.

Before I joined them, I could see that they were openly conversing with one another, yet as I arrived, they were already ending the conversation. Perhaps they were afraid of saying the wrong thing, I don't have much to blame other than how little I am able to share about myself with them, my life is as repetitive as clockwork despite how dangerous this line of work is. Although there was a brief silence among the group, it didn't seem to be intentional as it looked as though they were trying to figure out what to talk about. 

"Have I ever spoken about the time I was caught in the eye of a blizzard?" Void's voice cut through the crowded sound of the galley. His voice was casual, almost nonchalant, as if he were recounting a mundane anecdote rather than a tale of survival against insurmountable odds.  As his words hung in the air, a heavy silence descended over the table, anticipation and unease mingling in the space between us.

"Yeah, you mentioned it briefly once," Ash replied, recounting his words, her eyes flickering with curiosity.

"Well, let me tell you the whole story." Void's tone remained casual, but there was a subtle shift in his demeanour, a heaviness that belied the gravity of his words.

"It was a singularity blizzard, as you might have guessed. We were caught in the heart of it, surrounded by swirling chaos and darkness. Like any living being uncertain of survivability, we followed every procedure that gave us even the smallest percentile of survival. Oxygen mask on, hold on for dear life, gun ready for... disposal."

The nonchalant facade began to crack, revealing glimpses of the turmoil beneath. Void's voice wavered slightly as he continued, his words weighted with sorrow. "One of my companions... he was pulled into the singularity. There was nothing we could do. The force of it was... overwhelming. At that moment, I had to make a choice, a choice that we couriers are expected to make."

"With the gun they had given me, it was either him, or everyone else in the massive vicinity."