Sivayas Archipelago: Night Market

Among the rows of worn seats that echoed the sound of emptiness, I was seated alone in the dimly lit compartment of the monorail. The hum of the old lights and the train's engines was the only sound that filled my ears. It hasn't been long since I was told about the situation I'm in by Sekiyo, I had just impulsively decided to go out for the night to process it.

"The 4 of you will be... experiencing a change of lifestyle, suffice to say."

It was understandable but unheard of to completely choose and dictate specific nomad couriers on demand, it's surprising that the corporates would even cooperate with a client, let alone with each other. Either this project has funding that none of us could comprehend, or it could change so much that it even affects the higher-ups.

"If something were to happen to one of the four of you, it has the potential to put us as humanity back several decades of research. In no way we could ever afford that to happen, we are closer than we've ever been to figure out the fundamental mechanics of how things work." She stated as her hand began to stroke the head and back of the cat that was on her lap.

"At least for the next delivery, you will continue to be part of this project. For the rest of your life however, you are not allowed to make regular deliveries anymore."

The flickering fluorescent lights overhead barely illuminated the faded upholstery and the worn edges of the seats. The windows, grime-covered and scratched from years of neglect, allowed only glimpses of the cities below.

With my fingers intertwined and placed on my legs, I looked down at my feet, trying to remember her words.

"We are willing to give you some clearance on what the project is really about, as there is really no reason to keep this away from the 4 of you for how deeply you are involved now. This machine that you contributed to the construction of is called 'Zero Arbiter Screening Harbinger', Z.A.S.H. as some would call it.

Z.A.S.H. has the purpose of what was once thought impossible, moving an object faster than light."

The train plunges into a tunnel every once in a while, enveloping the interior with dim darkness. Before long, the train emerges on the other side, letting beams of light seep instantaneously through the grubby windows, casting fleeting patterns of illumination before briefly fading as the coach enters another tunnel.

"In terms of how is difficult to explain without going into the specifics, and even so it would be counterintuitive to explain specifics when it does not affect you. What I can explain is that by sending an object at the speed of light, in this case a proton particle, it would cause the particle to go through the fabric of our reality.

Theoretically, if the math is right it would cause the particle to go back in time and back into the emitter in the facility at Cube City. As our hypothesis goes, our reality is not what it is supposed to be. The particle would be forced through several... 'wrinkles', to say simply. The 4 of you likely felt the turbulence earlier, that is the particle forcing itself through those 'wrinkles' and crashing into the receiver that is installed right into the room you were looking over." She said pointing to the window of the observation room.

With the humming of the monorail softly fading away, the train slows to a halt as it arrives at my station. I get up from the worn seat, walking into the station that was more well lit than the train itself.

"Joshua, Zach, Ash, and Katherine, if I remember your name correctly, the 4 of you will be moving to Edynis, but you will have to pass through Arkwasa and inform them of our findings as well as to get access for a ride across the waters. You must travel together no matter the circumstances. When The Epoch or Singularity catch on to one of you, we can't risk having one of you being unable to pull the trigger. If that were to happen, you would need to eliminate one another to ensure our progress is not in vain."

.

.

.

Carcar Night Market, a market known to be the cheapest in Sivayas without that big of a compromise as it's compensated with the inflow of consumers. I decided to come here with an excuse of looking for potential gear I would need for the journey, but I really just need a walk here to clear my mind.

A labyrinth of makeshift stalls sprawled through the underground. Each vendor's wares illuminated by the soft glow of golden string lights and fluorescent signs, sheltered by purple tents which imitate the night sky. As I stroll through the night market, I pass through symphonies of haggling and laughter.

The scents of sizzling street food filled the air, mingling with the aroma of exotic spices and unfamiliar herbs. The vendors, each with their unique array of goods, shouted offers and displayed their merchandise with fervour. Colorful textiles, trinkets, and gadgets of all kinds were on display.

As I wandered through, not really paying attention to the items that were being sold, something caught my eyes. It was a piece of clothing, hung onto a makeshift wall. A trench coat, khaki in colour, slightly worn but nothing about it makes it any more special than others.

The coat looked strangely familiar, as though I'd seen it in a dream or a distant memory, it was beckoning to me. As I approached the coat, I couldn't help but run my fingers across its weathered surface. The trench coat's pockets, slightly frayed at the edges, seemed to have been used often by its past user.

The vendor, an elderly woman with dark hair,  smiled at me knowingly. "It's a special one, that," she said with a soft voice. "Worn by a traveller, a special one. It has seen worlds beyond."

The woman was speaking nonsense, likely to make a sale of the coat. Yet, I could see what she meant.