Chapter 2

Scorchkit's pelt felt heavy as they awoke, their paws strangely sore as a reminder of their faint memory of waking in the night.

He blinked slowly, trying to understand what happened last night, but the harder they reached for the memory and tried to pick out details, the farther it felt.

Something's off. But he was unable to ponder anymore as Houndkit pushed them over, certainly waking them fully now.

"Haha! Scorchkit, why'r yaa so lame!!!" Houndkit meowed loudly, grinning in a teasing manner.

Ugh, what's he doing now, what's with that voice too?

"Mmm.." Scorchkit simply grumbled, to exhausted with his shenanigans of yesterday to deal with them this early today.

They stood, wobbling with remaining sleepiness, before seeing Pepperkit come into view from his blind side. Though they found themselves not flinching like usual. Huh I've gotten better at that.

Pepperkit seemed disappointed by the lack of a reaction, "waaaaahhhh-" he exclaimed dramatically, "it's the big one eyed monster! It's even worse than a bear!"

Scorchkit stared back, unimpressed. Ugh seriously? Will he ever learn to shut up? He looks and acts awfully similar to a monster himself.

Houndkit pawed at Scorchkit, "cmon Scorch! Don't be so coooold!" He stretched out the words, his tone light in a joking and airy lighthearted way.

Despite his tone Scorchkit couldn't help but feel a little hurt. I wish these idiots wouldn't influence him as they have. Whatever, we are kin, no one or anything could change our closeness that is caused simply by that. He felt satisfied with his own thoughts, smiling at the security.

Though it seemed they had been silent in thought for a bit too long, and Houndkit looked very confused and perhaps bored. Pepperkit had a bland and unimpressed frown on his face, he quickly turned away, exhaling in dissatisfaction.

Scorchkit was satisfied with this, finally having a chance to talk with Snowyrock about something.

Scorchkit padded off, some strange puddles forming on the rocks, and looking around he caught sight of the cause, which appeared to be a patrol that had recently returned, with Snowyrock in it that seemed to be full of wet cats.

Snowyrock turned to trot off somewhere, but was interrupted by Scorchkit, bounding straight into her chest, resulting in the water falling onto them too. The faint scent of gardenias that clung to her fur, and even sometimes the flowers themselves felt overwhelming at such a distance, resulting in Scorchkit backing up.

"Hm, what is it Scorchkit?" Snowyrock tilted her head, a faint smile on her face. Yes! She's in a good mood as well! Perfect time to leave me alone Houndkit, I swear to StarClan I'll actually play along with your pranks later!

Snowyrock shifted on her paws uncomfortably, "ahh, let's go find somewhere to sit first, when you end up in such an important role, you also end up with very sore paws." She started off to a place Scorchkit had never seen.

"Oh, Scorchkit, you haven't been here have you? This is a place I like to go to get away from all the many nuisances." Her words were harsh but the tone was light and comforting, in a way that almost made Scorchkit want to curl up into his mother's fur. Although the thought of doing that with her currently soaking wet fur definitely wasn't as comforting.

Snowyrock crouched into a small form as she crawled into a quite tiny crevice. Uhmm.. is she sure that's safe? He felt uneasy at not being able to see her anymore, but her floral scent led him comfortingly.