Chapter Four: Things Fall Apart!

[The Next Day]

Rose and Ben sit in the common room working on something while chatting. Yaz and Sammy were deep in conversation as well. Kenji was sitting off to the side in a rolling chair, sitting back in it. Brooklynn was in her room still. Darius burst into the room.

"What's up, Camp Cretaceous! Whoo-hoo!" Darius squeals bursting into the room while Ben sips at his snack drink.

"Not in a 'whoo-hoo' mood this morning, Darius." Kenji states, "Not after yesterday."

"Still hurting from me punching you?" Rose asks. Kenji's cheeks flush red and he shrinks down in his chair.

"Trekking through a rainstorm will do that." Kenji explains.

"We only had to walk because you crashed our gyrosphere." Ben states, slurping at his drink again. Kenji growls in annoyance.

"But today's a new day! Kayak day! Who doesn't wanna paddle alongside dinosaurs? Real Dinosaurs? It's gonna be awesome right?" Darius asks, "Wait, where are Dave and Roxie?"

"The babysitters took off early and left this." Kenji states and rolls over to Darius and slaps a note to his chest.

"BRB. Gotta go. Boss-talk. BB. Later. Smiley face. Is that a dinosaur emoji with a thumbs up?" Darius asks.

"Yeah, it's cringy." Rose replies.

"It's Dave speak. Roxie translated on the back." Kenji explains.

"We have to go talk to our boss. Stay inside until we return. Draw, bond, whatever. The radio's set for channel six in case you need us. Stay inside, stay inside." Darius reads, "Do not leave, Kenji, looking at you." Rose laughs and Kenji scoffs with an eye roll.

"Uh, sorry for the kids' menus. It's all Dave had." Darius explains.

"Do they understand how old we are?" Kenji asks, "I mean, when was the last time you even saw a crayon?" Rose points at Ben who'd drawn him and Rose and Bumpy.

"Hmm. I have notes." Yasmina explains.

"Yasmina!" Sammy exclaims and laughs. The door slams open and everyone looks over to see Brooklynn.

"Brooklynn. What's new on the Internet, superstar?" Yaz asks.

"I wouldn't know because when I went to get my phone from its charger, it wasn't there! Someone stole my phone!" Brooklynn snaps.

"Brooklynn, who hasn't had your phone?" Yasmina asks.

"I needed to check the weather last night..." Ben admits.

"I haven't had her phone." Rose states.

"Dr. Sattler posted a new column on microfossils yesterday..." Darius begins while Kenji is talking but only the last part is heard.

"... too good to miss the selfie opp, but I haven't used it since then, I swear!" Kenji states and Brooklynn sighs in annoyance before she looks at Sammy.

"I... haven't seen it either." Sammy lies.

"Really?" Brooklynn asks.

"Hey, hey, it's okay! Since we're not kayaking till later, we'll have plenty of time to look for the phone." Darius suggests.

"Oh, I think I know exactly where to look." Brooklynn states, "I also think that whoever took the phone might be trying to hide some of the things that are on it. What do you think, Sammy?"

"Um, what?" Sammy asks.

"What is your deal? Sammy said she didn't touch it. Ever think you might have just lost the stupid thing?" Yasmina asks.